1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Looks Like it was cut at ~2.5 inches but...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ealbertson, Jun 7, 2006.

1. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lawn we have been cutting at the 4.75 inch setting on an eXmark Lazer Z. The lawn has done quite well like this all season so far; however, last week we cut as usual at this height and all looked fine when we left. I went there today and it looks like we scalped it. The conditions are very dry here now and the lawn for the most part looks burned. When we cut it last week it was green and ready although things were starting to dry out, but it was still ready to be cut. Any ideas why it looks so short now?

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

the homeowner might have cut it because 4.75 is an awfull high setting ..why do you cut it so high if you dont mind me askin?:drinkup:
  3. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Homeowner thinks it's long and went out and scalped it?
  4. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

They want it cut high. The 4.75 setting on either of our Zs doesn't actually leave the grass 4.75 inches high. The lawn until now looked like a plush carpet. One of the benifits of cutting it on a higher setting is less of a weed problem since the grass suffocates them out (There may be a better way to say that.). I also know the owner now anyone else cut it since we were there last week.
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

If it was winter rye it probably died. If not then somebody had to cut it.
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I've never heard of a yard being cut that high on a regular basis. Northern Grasses are usually cut closer to 3.5 or 4". Does anyone else cut this high?
  7. wildwillyscapes

wildwillyscapes LawnSite Member

I've never heard of a yard being cut that high on a regular basis. Northern Grasses are usually cut closer to 3.5 or 4". Does anyone else cut this high?

>>>> This is only my second year in the business and I work for another guy once a week at a very large apartment complex. He cuts everything at 4.5 every week no matter the weather... He claims that it holds up better against the dry spells that we have but other then him I have never heard of cutting that high either!:confused:
  8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

cutting higher does indeed shade out weeds from germinating (less sun to the ground means less sun to germinating weed seeds), but I've never cut that high, highest I'll go is 4". This year I've really taken onto the higher cutting for cultural reasons. Last year I kept it at 3.25" in drought and all my accounts stayed green, this year I've yet to cut anything lower then 3.5" and the lawns are nice and thick and dark green, hopefully I can keep them pretty healthy even in drought conditions.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I cut mine at 3" always, and since we haven't had any real rain, most of my lawns are on 12-14+ day schedules to keep them from browning. The one or two that browned some despite my best intentions, I don't cut those until they recover, otherwise it spells disaster.
    And no, I don't care if it hasn't been cut in a month, if it's not at least 6 inches high and green, I ain't cutting squat!

How many more times do I have to say it?
    When you cut grass, your mower breaks a TON of blades in two - For a plant, this is the rough equivalent of someone cutting off your head - Although the plant doesn't die from it instantly as we would, it nevertheless loses a considerable amount of vital fluids through the cut before it can heal, I would say anywhere from 20 to 50 percent of the lawn's fluids are lost in a cut. When you do this in a period of drought, or when you cut it weekly once temps hit 80+, it will brown out and die every single time, guaranteed.

Grass grows strongest in the spring and only in the spring for a time frame of about a month. After this period is over, it slows down gradually from sometime in May all the way into July, at which point it hardly grows and I keep most of my lawns on a 3-week schedule throughout August. Come September, things pick back up some IF you got green stuff left, it is almost like spring again but not quite - So, don't kill a lawn, don't brown it because it takes forever to recover and any half-smart homeowner will realize a brown lawn does not grow and it is only a matter of time before you go out there in your weekly stupor and one or more of them tell you what the deal is on how often you may come out from now on, that's if you don't argue and if they don't fire you.

Because I have a 1-acre naturally irrigated lawn and we're in a drought so I've watered it myself TWICE but it takes around 12 hours of full-ON farm sprinkler on a hose delivering 4 gallons / minute, which adds out to 3 thousand gallons / pop. I can't wait to see my waterbill but I am smart enough to cut it only when it absolutely needs it. Although a few areas are showing the stress, 90+ percent of my whole lawn is green. Yes, it is a dormant and somewhat dry-looking green but green it is.
  10. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

only time i go over 4" is when i double cut, standard height for me is 3.5 or 3.75 if i dont want to brown it.