1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Love Anyone?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Turf Tracer, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Senior Member

2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

I have a bit of insight in to what he's doing and, quite frankly, I'm stunned TechCrunch would pick this up. It's another MVP vapor company. There's another, similar company, that's been posting here, as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. MDHomeSVCS

MDHomeSVCS LawnSite Member

Yeah we have one around here too. Nextdaycuts... bad news for sure.

4. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Starting at commoditized business to sell an even more commoditized service sounds like an excellent business plan.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

I am not worried! Lawnstarter is the same. I commend them for trying to be innovative but I don't think it's gonna work in this industry.

6. tonygreek

I can't imagine how anyone would be worried. It's a flawed model from the start. The funny thing with this, and the other one(s), is that the tech world and incubators clearly don't understand the industry, how it operates, the inherent churn, or the other, related, fatal flaws in their model.

This, more than any other aspect of how best to use tech to advance the green industry, has been something I've discussed with more people than I can count, for more hours than I can count, and it always comes back to the same, core, issues.

7. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I think lawn care is going to be replaced by robots soon so all this will be irrevlant. Lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Locqus

Locqus LawnSite Senior Member
    from Detroit

I am a little surprised TechCrunch picked it up too! We have been trying to get coverage for months lol.

And yes, the "new guys" will love this. And there are always "new guys" every industry is built upon them. It has merit though. I am interested to see where they will take it. To the veterans really won't matter. It's the new, the tech, the edgy stuff that the younger companies will be using to compete with the bigger fish.

9. tonygreek

I think you can probably find a more relevant audience in other places. It's great for a link but, by and large, I think it's an overblown stamp of approval. And no, that's by no means an original take, but looking at post-TC article data is something I've done several times. The biggest gains I've seen is when you catch that one, right, eyeball. :)

The lack of oversight and control over a bunch of new lawn care guys (read: subcontractors) is one of the flaws. We see the variety of issues, on a daily basis, from the new or young companies on here. What are they going to bring to the table to give success to LawnLove? I think their "Total Guarantee" of "If you're not completely satisfied we'll come back and fix it, free of charge!" might get a bit of use.

Another hurdle is, after the first mow, what keeps the homeowner and sub-contractor separated from cutting LawnLove out? An iron-clad non-compete? The value of marketing, or that lead, and billing only go so far.

And then there's this quote from LawnLove's founder:

The average Lawn Love job runs at about $40 per hour, though it all depends on what services are being rendered and the size and location of the area.

Personally, my favorite thing I've read on this is from one of them saying, "Please, don't call us the Uber of lawn care.".
    A.) That's completely disingenuous.
    B.) No problem.

10. Locqus

Locqus LawnSite Senior Member
    from Detroit

Agreed. I think the major thing that they can bring is availability. The young guys starting out have hours to fill. That is a huge advantage to the more established. When I started out I said yes to almost anything because I had the time. Now we cycle new accounts in a week later. We can't scramble jets like we used to. I think the money back thing will get abused a bit as well like you mentioned and they can be easily cut out of the scenario after the first cut. Also, it's not that hard to find us, there are tons of us in any area.

I like how TechCrunch used Uber as a description for what they do and then him not wanting to be described that way lol.