Lawn Main. employee pay or no pay

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., Jun 27, 2004.

?

Pay for clocked in hours or not?

1. Pay hours he clocked in

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Pay what we think he worked

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I had this guy that worked here this spring he took and didn't show up on Friday his partner told me that morning he was not coming in that day (Friday) because i was an unhappy boss to work for. While the prior week he ran into a parked car with the trailer doing $1000+ in damage and then the next day he runs over a brand new self propelled push mower. What a work of art. So then i go to do payroll and see that he has only clocked in three days out of a 2 week period. What do i do pay him for that or do like he tells me to do and go off of his partners hour sheet. I am leaning both ways.

Thanks much
    Jason

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I would pay him only what he clocked in for. No wonder you are an unhappy boss to work for. Look at the damage he did!

trevor

3. Dwan

Dwan LawnSite Member

You are leagely required to pay him for the hours he worked in most states no mater what kind of dammage he caused.

4. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

To add to Dwan commnents you need to pay him no matter the damage or if he clocked in or not. If you are aware that he worked you have to pay him.

Not doing so will cause you more probs than its worth.

5. Prot1

Prot1 LawnSite Member

I would probably just pay the guy so i could wash my hands of him. As much as it sucks to take it in the shorts its still always best to be honest. Just make sure if he uses you as a recommendation you make the new employeer aware of his bad habits with equipment.

6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I would pay him what you are aware he worked and them make him sign a paper stating that if he doesn't clock in, you won't be paying him for the time he puts in. I don't know if it would ever hold up in court, but it would probably make him think twice about not clocking in every morning.

7. J Haugner

J Haugner LawnSite Member

You can actually garnish his wages to pay for damages as long as the garnishment does not cause his hourly wage to fall below minimum wage.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Pay him for the hours that he worked. No more-No less.
    Than introduce him to your stiffest competition.

OK, Maybe thats a little low.

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I think the question is, pay him based on his timecard or pay him based on what his partner worked? Obviously, pay him off his timecard. It's his timecard, and the only basis for his payroll for you, if you were not available to witness his working time. I'm not sure about the legalities, but I that's what I would do in your position.

Then, I'd fire him.

:D

10. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

In the state of Ohio, you have to pay him what he worked even if you were not aware of when he worked! All he needs is a witness that can say "yes, he was here working with me that day" and you will end up paying him. Sit down with him and his partner, figure out what you owe him and send him on his way as soon as possible. :gunsfirin