lawn maintenance guy killed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by docjones, Jun 11, 2011.

1. docjones

docjones LawnSite Member
    from WV

2. docjones

docjones LawnSite Member
    from WV

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Twice this week I almost got hit by a-holes doing 60 down quiet residential streets.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

That is really tragic. You can actually see the man's foot under the tarp in the video.
    None of us knows what happened, so I don't want to speculate, but I have noticed a lot of times lately when someone is killed like this by an edlerly driver, the driver panics and keeps on going until they get somehwere they feel safe, as apparently this driver did.

This poor LC guys family will be in my prayers.

I've had similar experiences. Usually with a stupid cell phone up to their ear too.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  5. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Very sad...

6. Craig T

Craig T LawnSite Member

The guy was trimming in the yard trimming when a medical Dr driving a mini van drove up over the curb on a busy street and hit the guy. The impact knocked his shoes and socks completely off. The driver of the van then proceeded to drive home 3 miles from where the accident happened with the guy still on the roof of the mini van. The Dr has since been arrested. Be safe out there....

7. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

It would be super hard to not choke the driver. IF the A##hole driver would have stopped and tried to help the man on the roof, it makes you wonder if things would have been differnet.

This story makes me sick/pissed.

And as far as cell phones. Usually the ones buzzing me are texting/looking down.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm guessing he didn't have this going? Not that it would have helped.

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower stuff/?action=view&current=DSCN0245.mp4

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I do remember thinking years ago when I used to mow a lot alongside a busy 45 mph highway, that one good use
    for a Ztr was its size and weight, I always figured if the bastards hit me they'd at least know it!

Because I can tell you one thing, I could be straddling the white sidemarker line mowing the sidewalk strip
    and those drivers zooming past wouldn't move over an Inch to give me room, not a inch!

When I made mention of it to the homeowner she told me flat out, they don't care and you better watch it because
    they'll run you over (and from the tone of her voice it sounded like she might know a little more about that subject).

Yes sir, that gave me a whole new respect for roadside workers,
    Most folks don't do squat, they drive past as if they weren't even there.
    But nowadays I always slow down and if I can I move over a little I will.

10. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

I hardly walk on any street to blow for this reason...just blow it over the center line...and always edge/trim on the grass side.
    One of my cousins' husband works there....
    mike