Lawn maintenance or landscaping?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Just keep mowing, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Just keep mowing

Just keep mowing LawnSite Member

Do you think that it would be wise to only offer maintenance services such as lawn cutting, sprinklers, chemicals, pruning, etc? I'm tired of the headaches associated with landscaping work.

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i consider maintenance just mowing. Irrigation/mulching/pruning/planting= landscaping

i offer both for a few reasons. i dont want another lawn/landscape company working on my customers yard. your letting money that can go in your packet go to your competitor.

3. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I don't want anybody else on my property so I offer year round full service lawn maintenance and landscaping. What headaches are you refering to?

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I used to just do landscaping and Landscape maintenance without mowing. Though I find the work more rewarding, the income was too up and down.

This year I ventured into full grounds maintenance. The income stream is definitively better and only pulls me out 1.5 days a week. The rest of the week I dedicate to landscaping.

So, in a nutshell, landscaping pays better per hour over full commercial grounds work, but the ground work is steady income. A conundrum to say the least, but as long as I keep balance, I'll be OK.

5. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in the same boat, we have offered specialty services only such as irrigation, lighting and construction. But nest year we will be adding maintenance, not only for the regular source of revenue, but also to keep us as the only people on the property.