Lawn Maintenance Package Deals

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turtle II, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Turtle II

Turtle II LawnSite Member

Does anyone offer package deals to their good customers???
    The customers you really want in the neighborhoods you want to be in.

Say you would charge 35.00 per cut on a weekly basis, or, if the customer enters into a one season or one year contract the rate would be 30.00 per cut.

That 5 dollar difference comes out to 120.00 per month vs. 140.00 per month.

Lets say its a close call on the bid,,,,,,,
    could be a 35 or 40 dollar job.
    at 40 dollars per cut, thats 160.00 per month. But you will do it for 140 per month if you sign up for _____________".

Has anyone tried any package type plans and offered incentives to sign up for a plan???

A plan with automatic payment. ie: 140 per month from their account to the biz account on a pre set date.......

So you might be losing 20 bucks per month by not colllecting yourself, by the job. But what about the time it takes, checks/going back more then once to get paid, going by the bank more then once per week, sporadic paying customers, etc,etc......

All that hassel and head ache and grief has got to be worth something.

Any advice for a new-bie:D from you guys that have
    been there & done that or pondered the pros and cons of that would be much appericated.

Turtle II
    Eastern, NC :cool:
  2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

you may have a little trouble getting a homeowner to sign any kind of contract.although pest control people do'll never know until you try. good luck!:)
  3. Tom023

Tom023 LawnSite Member

JimLewis posted this thread regarding Automatic Payment. It's called AUTOPAY, and is a pretty sweet idea if you ask me. Never used the system myself, but i'm looking forward to implimenting it from the very beginning (starting up next spring)!

Autopay Thread

You can also search for Autopay or late payers, etc, and you'll get a bunch more great threads.

Good Luck!
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If a client was willing to pre-pay for lawn care for the season I would consider giving them the discounted price. Basically its number of cuts divided by number of months in operation to keep costs down for them here.

I opted to aerate one client free of charge to get my foot in the door of a sub-divsion I was quite interested in. It took two years to gain two additional accounts but the wait has been worth the initial expense.
  5. Turtle II

Turtle II LawnSite Member

Jim Lewis,

You wrote a book on "AUTO-PAY" as it pertains to this Biz........

You have spelled it all out......Thanks you very much for posting that data and info...........

Hope everyone is having a great & festive holiday season!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

we do seasonal contracts only, so you either sign on for the season or not - no discounts just for signing.

if you pre pay or give post date chqs MAYBE a small discount, 4% to 5% say - but not 10% to 20% as you gave in example.

if someone comes on for cutting, clean up, aeration and applications, and asks for a discount if they prepay for sure i'd give them a good discount, maybe as high as 10 % . but any more than that i think is cutting margins too much.

and 10% would be a very special case. can count them on one hand.
  7. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

Turtle II, yes, we usually have 2 different prices, the on-call price for us and the every week normal client price. And actually there is usually about a $5 difference. If it gets ridiculous, like we do not go back there for a month or something and the grass is real high, it will be substantially more, usually 2 to 3 times normal cost, if the wife does it. The risks oftentimes on an overgrown, especially with Briars and woody vegatation far outweigh what $5 will buy, I just point at those $100 or so tires on the back of the Exmark every now and then when the wife and I discuss it.

I believe that you should charge more for the yards that you do not do as frequently, as they are slightly more difficult than when you keep up with them constantly.

Also, if you have to juggle schedules much, it sure gets to be a pain, The infrequent folks kind of have to wait till we can slot them in as best we can.

Al Bechard
  8. kjfaulk

kjfaulk LawnSite Member
    from NC

Turtle II,
    Where are you from in NC?
    As far as the contracts, I have seen another company give a 5% discount to his customers that will pay for a year in advance. He does really well getting people to do this, under a 1 year contract. As far as giving a break on prices, we will give a small cut in price only, for example, we have some comerical accounts, that we do many or all of there stores, so therefore by getting all there accounts, we are able to offer them a some what lower price per store. But I would not do that for just one customer.
  9. Dude you better wake up and get into the real world.

I don't work without a contract.!!!!!
  10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I offer package deals to every customer. In fact I dont want new work unless I get everything. Mowing, fert, weed control, trimming bushes. I want it all.