Lawn makeover

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bwclark, Jan 29, 2007.

1. bwclark

bwclark LawnSite Member

Two years ago had a new dwarf tall fescue sod lawn installed. Looked good for a few months, but due to low light in the coastal environs of N. Calif. it has done very poorly. Sparse with dead spots and lots of dead grass intermixed with some green.

So, I am wondering what to do? I am thinking about overseeding with some type of bluegrass that tolerates shade well, and doing that early spring.

OR

should I cut the grass as short as possible and then use roundup to kill the existing turf and then overseed?

Photo 1 - New lawn
    Photo 2 - Existing lawn view
    Photo 3 - Existing lawn close

Thanks,
    Bob

Frontyard North Jul 2005.jpg

Front lawn view 1_29_07 (549 x 824).jpg

Front lawn close 1_29_07 (824 x 549).jpg

2. bwclark

bwclark LawnSite Member

Since this sod came from an inland sod farm, it is possible that the soil conditions and therefore grass does well there because of these differing soil conditions rather than just climate.

I have for the last two years used fertilizer almost monthly in order to get the growth during the Summer, but have never limed to counter this heavy acid load. It may be that the sod farm has a more alkaline soil and water source that this grass perfers.

I will this year, begin with some lime in early spring...Feb/Mar and try to counter the acid load from the fertilizer, and again in the fall. Perhaps this will help the growth of this grass.

It certainly has done nothing but go straight down in quality from just a few months after install although late this past year has been the worst.

Guess its worth one more try. ;)