LAWN MONKEY SOFTWARE

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcanada, Jan 28, 2000.

1. jcanada

jcanada Guest

I AM CURRENTLY USING QUICKBOOKS FOR MY INVOICES AND ACCOUNTING FOR MY LAWN SPRAYING COMPANY. I TRIED THE 30 DAY TRIAL WITH LAWN MONKEY AND IT SEEMED TO BE A FAIRLY GOOD PROGRAM. ARE ANY OF YOU OUT THERE USING LAWN MONKEY? PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE PROGRAM, AND ALSO COMMENT ON COMPARISONS BETWEEN LAWN MONKEY AND QUICKBOOKS. THANKS.

2. PLM 2

PLM 2 LawnSite Member

Lawn Monkey seems to be more of a scheduling program than a full fledged accounting sysytem. You will need to continue to use QB for accounting if you purchase Lawn Monkey. Examples Lawn Monkey only 1 bank account allowed, No Payroll functions (Deductions automated). Lawn Monkey tech support seems to be responsive to suggestions, But as with all softawre development it takes time to implement. <br>Lawn Monkey tech support answers to questions are answered very promptly, (In My experience even on Sunday). If you need more info about my experiences e-mail me at Landscape@linkline.com. HTH.

3. Erika B

Erika B LawnSite Member

There are alot of good software packages out there for lawn and landscape businesses, some pricier than others, but it seems to hold that you get what you pay for. From my experience and reading(I have played with the free sample of Lawn Monkey and a few other softwares), it appears that lawn care software often doesn't do the payables or payroll, but if you find the right one, can help you keep your books balanced with easy and accurate reports.<p>I always have an opinion if anyone wants to ask me (I still think the software I work with is the best, but I'm biased). Another way is to show up at one of the expo's put on by PLCAA or other orgs (like the GIE they had in Baltimore this year) and go around to all the software companies, get demos, and take home information to research. PLCAA might even recommend someone for you based on what kind of business you run and how busy your schedule is.<p>----------<br>Insanity takes its toll, Please have exact change.<br>

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I must admit that I've never tried Lawn Monkey. But that's mostly because I don't ever have any reason to change. I love QuickBooks so much that I can't ever see leaving. Once you learn all the little things it can do, it's an amazing program. I'm hooked!<p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com

5. CGS

CGS LawnSite Member

Jim,<p>I'm also hooked on Quickbooks. I'm currently using QBPro99. I want to get QBPro2000,have you started using this yet? It seems that they have made it better. What do you think? I'm using Microsoft Outlook 2000 which Quickbooks has integrated. I use Outlook to schedule my routes, (just like a &quot;Day Runner&quot; it is a powerfull tool. All you need to do is enter your clients name in the calender section and on the hour you specify. Once your route is ready, all you have to do is apply a reoccurance every week, biweekly,monthly,yearly,etc. and it will show up on your calendar the following week or when you choose to check your schedule 3 or 4 weeks from now you will always see what bi-weekly homes/client are on that route, theres much more stuff you can manipulate to fit our business. <p>Sorry about the rambling, it's late.<p>Take it easy and good luck!<p>...CGS...

6. PLM 2

PLM 2 LawnSite Member

CJS, You May want to check out the quick books forum before you upgrade to QB 2000. There is a lot of Uproar about the new program (slow, required subscription to payroll services. etc.)

7. CGS

CGS LawnSite Member

PLM2,<p>Could you direct me to that forum? I forgot to check if anyone responded to my question, unfortunatley I got the software, but I have not opened it. I would like to see this forum before I return it.<p>Thanks again,

8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Wow! That kinda sucks about QBs required payroll service. I didn't know that. I was just about to go buy it. Looks like I am sticking with QB99 then. Only bummer is the tax tables expire in 4 days and they want $69 for the new ones. I love the program but Intuit sure are greedy SOBs. It'd be one thing if the tax tables just stopped updating themselves, but if you don't get the new ones, they actually shut down your whole payroll ability. That's pretty screwy. <p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com

9. Oliver

Oliver LawnSite Member
    from NY

Personally I think GroundsKeeper Pro 2000 is by far the best industry business software available. Not only is it cheaper than most all the other software out there but it's so easy to use (and I'm new to this computer stuff!). Their bills look great, and you can put your logo on them just like QB. They also have screens for keeping track of your customer accounts, scheduling & routing (of course), as well as, a really extensive job estimator. The estimator can even tell you how much you should be charging for mowing someone's lawn based on its size. I could go on and on. Oh, and they do not charge for updates like QB. Last time I called them for tech support (which is often, sorry for them) they told me they are coming out with a pesticide/fertilizer reporting module. That will be great since we are required to report all of our pesticide and fertilizer applications now at a federal level. Well, you really need to check it out for yourself...www.adkad.com<br><p>----------<br>Oliver<br>

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Big dis for Groundskeeper you have to re-enter the info into another accounting app(like QBPro99?) to get any meaningful info out of it. How are you going to produce a P+L from GK when a lender requests it? I also have little faith in software that includes the valid passwords with its product sample.<p>Ill stick with quickbooks. Have nebs print up some custom forms if fancy bills are what turns you on.<p>Bill