1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Mower Blade Sharpening

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Bill T, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Bill T

Bill T LawnSite Member

I am concidering starting a part time business at home sharpening lawn mower blades. There seems to be a shortage of this service in my area.(Except for the shops that will do it on a bench grinder). I have been lookin at the Magna-Matic Lot#4 (uses the series 8000 sharpener). I am looking for any help or suggestions from equiptment to advertising. Any help woul be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Bill, your idea reminds me of a guy who would drive through the neighborhoods when I was younger sharpening kitchen knives. All the people on the block would run out to his van and he would spend a few minutes sharpening knives for the whole block and then move to the next. Nobody does that stuff anymore, no egg guy, no milk guy.

Good Luck, Landscraper
  3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

And while you are at it, consider offering to sell string trimmer line and new blades. This is the type of service that busy mowing folks need.