Lawn Mower Blades

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Derek9D, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Derek9D

Derek9D LawnSite Member

Im kind of getting tired of sharpening lawnmower blades with a handheld grinder so i thought about bringing them to school so i could cut the angle on the Vertical Miller but i need to know if they are hardened or not because if they are hardened i will not be able to cut them with an end-mill...So if anyone could please help me if you know wether blades are hardened or not.

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

No 90 percent are very soft.

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

if you have access to mills and such you should make a jig that mounts to your bench grinder for a precision angle and edge. regular blades are hardened - how much - I don't know. Do you have a rockwell or equal hardness tester? then you could compare aftermarket blades to oem. that would be good info.

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

mow_pro.... i was just looking at your sig.... i think you might need some fluid film!

5. Derek9D

Derek9D LawnSite Member

actually thanks thats a good idea to make a jig to mount on my bench grinder i just figured i could put them on a vice tilt the head to the req. angle and mill them. I'll try and check the hardness on the rockwell scale tommorow and see if they can be cut or not and ill try to figure something out to mount on the grinder....thankx for the info

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

LOL, good one got my free sample in the mail last week man that stuff is great sending a order out soon,after market or oem blades might be hard but to me they are very soft i sharpen blades daily makes the cut soo much better,as for jigs i went to the local machine shop and made a blade grinder works for me.

7. Derek9D

Derek9D LawnSite Member

so whats this blade grinder jig look like if you have any pics because i think from a few pics i good make one in shop...I sharpened a set today on the Bridgeport using a carbide cutter and it works pretty good so i know the blades are somewhat soft since a file is around 60 rockwell and a file would take off material i didnt test them though all i need to do tommorow is make sure there balanced

8. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

just a triangular shaped tool rest that clamps to your grinder rest. then slide your blade back and forth on the angle rest while grinding.

9. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

What i meant was rest,you stated bridgport so you are in a machine shop i have a baldor 1 horse 10 inch grinder with a homemade rest to angle the pitch on a blade.

10. Derek9D

Derek9D LawnSite Member

yeah thats what i thought where the flat tool rest is now i will just replace it by making a new tool rest at the blade angle i read somewhere its a 30 degree angle on the blade but i mesured it with a protracto on a new blade and i measered 35 degrees but i dont think 5 degrees will make much of a difference...thanx for all the help its greatly appreciated