Lawn Mower Blades?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Wennfred, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Wennfred

Wennfred LawnSite Member

Just installed a nice Tall Fescue lawn and wanted to get my Mower ready.

Should I invest in one of them Viper Mower blades I saw at the Home Depot or simply sharpen my old blade with a dremel?

Mower is a 21" Craftman 6.0 and it says Mulcher on it.

Not in the business just a homeowner.

Thanks any info would be highly apreciated.

Fred, San Diego. Ca

2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

A sharp, balanced mower blade is enough for a homeowner with a small to medium sized lawn of 3K to 10K sqft.
    The serrated foil design mulching blades are made to reduce the clipping size. More clippings fit into a collection device, which then weighs more. Additionally, if you are side discharging, a serrated mulching blade wouldn't work as well due to the limitations on air flow. Commercial machines are designed to produce somewhere around 19,000 fpm and a homeowner, fixed throttle walk behind is around 8,000 fpm. Less lift with an open discharge chute means less clippings lifted to be reduced in size by the serrated blade.
    Stick with your closed chamber mulching set-up with the stock blade. Sharpen the blade regularly (every 8 hours of cutting) and you wil be alright.

3. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, keep your blade sharp, and you'll be fine.

4. Wennfred

Wennfred LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply, I will buy a new stock blade found at Home Depot and put a sharper cut on it..

Thanks again

Fred

5. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

methinks it may be sharp enough when you first buy it.:)