Lawn mower engine question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BrandonGT, Jul 1, 2001.

1. BrandonGT

BrandonGT Guest

Hello there. I'm new, as you can see. :p

I have a question regarding push/self-propelled lawn mower engines.

I have been looking around for a good one, for a reasonable price. Today, I saw a Craftsman mower with a 6.5hp Briggs and Stratton engine, and another Craftsman with a 6.75hp Eager-I.

The 6.5 Briggs one was a bit more expensive.

I'm just wondering, what is so special about these Briggs engines, and how can they be more expensive than a higher HP mower?

Thank you,

Brandon

NOTE: Thread should of been in Mechanic and Repair forum; I just noticed that now. Sorry.

2. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

The "eager" engine is really a Tecumseh if I remember correctly. You might try another brand of mower, but we're VERY disappointed with the cut of our Toro Personal Pace, we'd rather use a old "high wheel" mower, much faster.

3. BrandonGT

BrandonGT Guest

SMB, do you have any opinions on "Troy-Bilt" lawn mowers? I used a 5hp Briggs-powered Troy-Bilt and I was sastified with its cut/power, but those are really expensive.

Regarding Craftsman - I'm quite impressed with one of Craftsman mowers that one of my family members has, and I use to cut his lawn; so that's why I'm putting Craftsman as a "possible" choice.

But, what's so special about the Briggs that makes it more expensive than the Eager?

4. BrandonGT

BrandonGT Guest

Anyone else have good remarks on any 20-22inch walk-behinds? :D

5. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Toro proline 21" Around 1k in price. This is the mower to have. You can get either 2 or 4 stroke engine. Both are good engines. I does not even compare to craftsman.

6. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The craftsman can not take the wear and tear like other commercial mowers. Look towards a commercial line...especially if this will be your main mower.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Brandon-I wouldn't recommend anything other than commercial quality equipment. Toro Proline and Honda Commercial is what I recommend. I'm using Toro and I'm very pleased with the cut, as far as mulching goes. It's a mulching only mower so I've never bagged with it. Honda, I've heard, bags very well, but I don't know about the mulching. I'd get Honda next time if it's a good mulcher but I don't know.

8. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

does anyone use the exmark 21"? and if so are you pleased with its performance?

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ssouth,
    That Exmark 21" is really a Toro Proline 21" w/ the Exmark name on
    it. Toro owns Exmark and this mower is the only thing that is
    actually a Toro that is in the Exmark equipment line. I have the Toro
    21" and its a great mower.

BrandonGT,
    Is the Briggs an overhead valve engine? If it is this might explain
    the price difference. Overhead valve engines are usually more
    expensive than flathead engines (non overhead valve). ED

10. BrandonGT

BrandonGT Guest

Thanks for the advice.

Well, I'm not going to be doing many lawns. First, I'm only 13, if you read my information.

I'm only planning on doing a few neighbors' lawns down the street, that's why I have been sticking to mowers I've seen at Sears; instead of mentioning those enduring commercial mowers. I'm just talking about normal-use ones.

EJK, what's the advantage with an overhead valve engine?