Lawn mower question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Willingtoworkmn, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Willingtoworkmn

Willingtoworkmn LawnSite Member

Ok, I have been in business for about two months and am on my second mower. A cheesy 139cc MTD mower from menards. At this rate its costing me about 80 bucks a month to keep me in mowers. The plus side of this is there is no lost time. I just open a new box and off I go. The negative side is that I have a friend who says that if I get a commercial mower it basically will last all year. I do beat the hell out of mowers though. Near the end of life of my last mower I was mowing drained out swampland. Any advice to lower my mower cost here, or is 80 bucks a month good enough for the convenience?

2. pjlandscapes

pjlandscapes LawnSite Member
    from CT

buy a good commercial mower and take care of it it should last you years to come.

3. cutyourgrass

cutyourgrass LawnSite Member

I work on mower equipment for the military. The home use equipment SUCKS big time. A commercial unit is made to handle rough treatment. Many have belt driven blades to prevent damage to the motor. The bodies are a stronger metal. The plus' are endless.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

36" Scag Hydro walk-behind. This mower will last you a long long long time.