Lawn Mower Selection Under a Budget

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnCutter2004, Jul 18, 2004.

1. LawnCutter2004

LawnCutter2004 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hello,

I'm a 15 year old who lives in a town surrounded by upper middle class. In my neihborhood everyone knows me for being a very hard wokrer because all their kids sit on their butts and im wokring all the time. My question is... Ive just got 5 new people to mow for on a weekely basis. Ranging from 25-35 per house. And some of these houses are 1 acre plus. I started mowing one and it takes 2 hours on my Craftsman 18hp 42inch lawn tactor. The other peoples grass is starting to grow and ready to cut so i ahvent cut it yet. But there lawns are the same size if not bigger than the first house i did. What mower should i buy used that could get the job done in a more timely manor. ANd get a professional cut like they want? What could get me for around $1000. And will it defiantly cut better and faster than my bad tractor. Thanks

2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Not too much on the new side ( the Quick 36 Hydro is $1995 )
    shop around for a good used mower. Good luck.

3. nmhorns

nmhorns LawnSite Member

4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

DONT EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME....If you said some of the houses are one acre plus you need at least a 48 walk behind. Look in your classified ads, or local shops. I bought a 36 IN walkbehind 14 horse for $850 yesterday.

You can also finance equipment. YOu would not be able to because you are 15 but if you have your ma, or pa co-sign. That way you could buy something NEW and pay it off over three years or so

trevor

5. LawnCutter2004

from NJ

Will i say a big improvemnt in cutting time by getting a 48in or 60 in walk behind? i currently use 42inch craftaman riding `18hp and its a pain to turn... you think its worth getting a older mower like 10 years for udner one thousand but still cuts? I wanan spend ultimatly no more than 1000. Let me know what you think

6. LawnCutter2004

from NJ

COMMERCIAL LAWN MOWER-48" BOB CAT, Good Running Cond., $650
    how does this classified ad sound?

7. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

yea it sounds good, just make sure its not beat to sh8t.

8. LawnCutter2004

from NJ

so you guys definatly agree that getting a walk behind will be cutting the mowing time good because of its zero tunring?

9. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Where in NJ lawn cutter? I might have something for you.

10. LawnCutter2004

from NJ

I am in Middlesex county; ten minutes from prinction. Let me know what you have. My uncle has a pick up so yeh we could probably pick up what you have. If you want you can call me at
    732-406-9129

Or you can email me @ jasonpoliveira@comcast.net
    And If i buy it I could give you all cash.