1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Mower Selection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jslawncare, Jan 14, 2003.

1. jslawncare

jslawncare LawnSite Member

Well, from my post in the business Section, I definately need to upgrade. I have been using a Honda Harmony 21" for the last three years and need to go bigger, most likely a 36" since I will be doing lots of in town lots. I was looking at the deere one with 13 hp, but I don't know, you guys say they are a pos. The deere one is $2500. Anyone know of any new 36" ones I can buy that are around the same price range and do a kickass job while still going fast?:D
  2. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

My 36" Exmark treated me well for my first 2 years... I barely use it anymore, most of my lawns now are done with my Z and trimming, sometimes the 21". It was belt drive, bought it used (about 2 hours on it) for $2000 as part of a package deal.. but new it was only $2300 + bagger. Now, with ECS controls they are like 2500-2600 after bargaining I believe... but with pistol grips they are 200 cheaper I THINK. No problems what so ever with this machine in 2 years of beating.
  3. jslawncare

I was thinking Scag too, but a lot of people seem to praise Exmark and the quality their machines are...Scag seems a bit $$$ though
  4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

36 metro with ecs is right around 2300 in my neck of the woods. I have perdominantly smaller residentials and at the biginning of the year was pushing them with a 21 in mower. Switched to the exmark and mowing time was cut in a third. Give one a try.

Good Luck
  5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say try to find a used with 200 hrs or less then maybe even you can get a hydro for the same price. Good Luck
  6. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

I am not privy to your posts in the "other section", but, I can tell you this, use what you know and like...............it will work, and get the tips from here as suggestions only, not fact.......I have run my business for years contrary to very many beliefs, some here agree, and some do not.........these posts are for your benefit to explore alternatives to your normal routine and way of business..and conflicts will arise....but stick with what you know until change shows results.....ET
  7. jslawncare

Yeah, I am thinking about a Deere despite what people say. I have absolutely know knowledge in the large walkbehind area of lawnmowers, but I do know deere makes some nice ride on's, I will check out scag, and if they are similarly priced prolly go with a scag. What are primary features to avoid when choosing a lawnmower?
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'd stick with a commercial 32". There built to last. Don't "give in" to those 33" mowers with the plastic front wheels.
  9. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with Bob!
  10. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Stop by your local Lesco dealer and give one a ride.You never know.