lawn mower types

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by twn4444, Feb 28, 2007.

1. twn4444

twn4444 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I'm just starting my own lawn and landscape business and was wondering what type of mower would be best. I've been looking at the walkers because they look like they have the best finished product. I have a couple accounts with very wealthy homeowners but also a couple basically pastures to mow. What do you guys think about walkers or should I look at other mowers?

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i personally prefer Toro, but go with what you like. you can try them all.

3. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

This topic has been covered over and over on this site, and the best advice I can give you if you are looking to buy (1) mower. Buy a mower that best suits all your needs. It is possible to do this, but I would schedule all the nice residential accounts on one part of the week and have a dedicated set of blades to use on these so you leave a nice cut. Then have another set of blades to use on the rough stuff. When the nice set of residential blades start to not leave a pretty cut use them for the rough stuff. This is what I did my first year with just one ZTR. An up side to all the blade changing is you get really proficient at changing blades. Again this is what I did, and my opinion.

4. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

MOWER TYPES: I use Ferris hydro walk-behinds, I will always use Ferris...they make a great machine!

5. Ford Guy

Ford Guy LawnSite Member

i have a 20 HP walker with a 42" deck and i love it, wouldn't use anything but it. it will do more work then any walk behind. there is another lawn care company here that uses 21" honda pushmowers and i can cut as much per week as this other guy and his employee, and my walker is alot cheaper then an employee. i looked at the toros when i bought my walker, but they only came in 25 HP and 48" decks. i wouldn't be able to get through some gates to backyards and my 20 HP is more then enough horsepower, so why go to 25 and waste more fuel. i had also run walkers for 4 years for another landscaper so i was familiar with them and there is a dealer 20 minutes away, so it was a no brainer for me

6. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

i use husquavarna, but as long as its commerical equipment it will do fine just price shop nd test drive a few anf find what best suits your needs

7. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Walker. As a small business a Walker is a HUGE investment. Yet, they are the perfect tool because it is so versitle. A 48" GHS would kill for those high paying accounts who would like a nice finish. A 62" or 52" would be a winner on the pasture like yards. Yet by the time you get a 48" GHS and a 52" SD deck your out $14500 est. Point: If the income is right and you feel your business can support this mower go for it, it will be one of the best investments you make as a business. Yet, If your in my position and can barely afford this mower (I found one at a steal and couldn't pass it up) then you should seriously consider a walkbehind and a sulky instead. I will be advertising this spring and I'll get the customers to justify my ownership on it.

8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

25hp and 48"??? where did you look? theres many 19 horse and 48" decks,
    are you using homeowner equipment?....

9. Ford Guy

Ford Guy LawnSite Member

no it wasn't homeowner equipment, but it was at the same dealership as the walker i purchased and that's the only toro dealer around here. so maybe they don't carry a wide selection, but the brands of mowers is so different up here in canada. around here everything is john deere, kubota, and walkers. i read alot of guys on here talking about gravely, snappers, great danes, bobcats, and all of these brands are so few and far between around here that i'd stay away from them just for that reason. where would i go for parts?