1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lawn mowing business or junk hauling business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rosarioslawncutters, May 28, 2010.

1. rosarioslawncutters

rosarioslawncutters LawnSite Member

hi...i have been in the lawn care business for little over 3 years....i was thinking of not doing mowing and doing junk hauling service...is this a good choice....

i dont really have that many mowing accounts, all i make is $600 to $750 weekly...working 6 days a week and towing a trailer all day long

i do junk hauling jobs here and there so i have some experience (been doing it for about 1 year)

thing is that with 2 junk hauling jobs that i do a week will make almost the same amount of cash as if i was mowing but with a hole lot less time....

i usually charge $350 a trailer load and it usually takes me about 2.5 hours of work ( counting loading the junk in the trailer then dumping it at the land fill)
    when only in 2.5 hours all i can mow is maybe 3 properies at $30 each (counting drive time) total cash $90 making 3 different stops

so far i do 1 junk removal job per week without advertizing too hard...

i was thinking of eliminating the mowing to replace with the junk hauling but keep everything else like fall/spring clean ups, snow plowing

what do you guys think?
  2. TPS

TPS LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

The obvious choice, if you can get enough work, is hauling. My question is, do you need a DEP# to haul? In NJ you need a DEP# and it takes a while to get one here. Your supposed to have a DEP 401 Exempt # to haul grass clippings and yard waste also. Seems like fraily easy work and good money. Maybe cut mowing down to 3 days a week and haul the other 2 until you get enough work to haul 5 days a week.
  3. rickyg

rickyg LawnSite Member

Something that I have learned from my father watching him work for the the last 25 years, don't limit yourself to just one thing. Do whatever brings you money (legally of course). I think you should focus on what you enjoy doing but be open to make money doing whatever you can.
  4. mbrew

mbrew LawnSite Senior Member

If you're getting $350.00 a load I'm going to come up there and compete with you. I'm doing good to get 175.00 and I have to be particullar what I'll agree to haul or I'll reall work for it!

Good Luck
  5. rosarioslawncutters

i never heard of that here..maybe the big company trucks but i never heard of small companies needing the dep#...i could be wrong but i think thats for
    Chemicals, Solvents, Oils
    Oil drums, oil tanks
    Car batteries
    hazardous waste

but i could be wrong
  6. rosarioslawncutters

my trailer is 6.5 X 12 x 4 about 11.5 cubic yards

$175 here is a pickup load with side walls
  7. mbrew

mbrew LawnSite Senior Member

Mine's 16 long and good for 15CY. What are your dump fees? Here I can count on about $53.00

8. rosarioslawncutters

here is $88.30
  9. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

I love hauling debris. The treasures I find-awesome+I re sell quite a bit of the good stuff, scrape all the metal=more $.

I have both of you beat on dumping fees: $18.00 per ton!
  10. rosarioslawncutters

wow $18 per ton....what is the average rate for a hauling job?