Lawn mowing height?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smlc451, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

You're still cutting it short, I cut at 4" and up.

3. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

AND UP? my mowers dont go any higher, id have to buy bigger wheels

4. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

4" all summer or just later in the summer?

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

3.5 - 4" is all you need. Higher than that and most machine start leaving stragglers badly. I cut at 3.5- 4" all season long.

6. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

3.5-4, shorter than 2.75 is crazy, above 4, unless your machine is great with tall heights your cut quality may suffer. Right on the money. I'll only cut shorter than 3 if it's a weekly customer that insists on it, and I will not skip after that cuz their lawn is dormant. Too bad.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

To the original poster, I once did some deep thinking on this subject at once time, and it took me a while to figure it out. Your referring to "University Studies" telling you to cut a particular grass at a particular height. For example, many University Studies say to cut St. Augustine at 3" for example. I cut St. Augustine at a minimum 4" - 4.5". Why and what I learned from these stories? Go back and read the study. How much water does it say to put down per week? It all boils down to temperature, water, and so on before you get a good HOC. You can't get a correct HOC without knowing these factors. In the article you read, it may say cut at 3", but it may also say water 1" per week. With that said, I have customers that want their St. Augustine cut at 3", yet they have an isolating sprinkler on a hose in their lawn. The go to work in the day, come home turn the sprinkler on, and claim their lawn is "irrigated." Do they know their water pressure output? Do they know how much water that isolating sprinklers putting out? It can take an isolating sprinkler 3 up to even 6 hours to put out a full inch of water over a 2,000-4,000 square foot area. Are they running their sprinklers for five hours or the appropriate amount of time after work to get one full inch of water from that particular sprinkler? Most likely not, why would you cut at a HOC at 2.75" if it recommends at least 1" per water per week via University Research, yet it's not getting one full inch of water? Make sense? Irrigated lawns are much easier to cut at such heights, but when I say "irrigated" that's a diverse word. Most customers are using big-box sprinklers and don't now what their putting out, and A LOT of people even have irrigation systems and still don't know how much their putting out. You can read study after study, but we all know in a drought and heat, cut high and it does better especially when not given adequate water, especially when we're on drought restrictions. With that said, I have St. Augustines that I'm now cutting at 4.5" to 5" over this past month due to the extreme drought. One of my best looking St. Augustine lawns is cut at 4.5" every week.

8. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

One rule I live by now days, if you're going to cut it like a golf coarse, YOU MUST, water it like a golf coarse. Which you (my customer) don't do, thus, I can't cut it like a golf coarse.

9. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

Good advice on the watering stuff..what is HOC btw?

10. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

Haven't had to water all year, it has been raining like crazy up here.