Lawn Mowing or Custom Pruning?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcplace2004, Jul 13, 2005.

1. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I spoke to a couple of guys a couple of weeks ago that used to mow lawns but chose to go the route of custom pruning of hedges and small trees...they said that it was a very profitable decision...I do know, that I make more money on the clean-ups and pruning of hedges than I do on the mowing...what have some of you all done?...250 to 400 bucks a wack to doing pruning adds up in a hurry and is very rewarding...I am a solo op and the mowing actually gets in the way of my money making tasks...I hate to stop a pruning job to have to mow anything...thanks...
  2. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

I think the more services you can offer per account, the better. From the customer's perspective the less venders to deal with the better. If you are already there why not do everything you can?
  3. Oh Yard Boy

Oh Yard Boy LawnSite Member

Tree and hedge trimming guys make a killing here, but you have to have the equipment and hauling capability. Large box truck, stump grinder, chipper, chainsaws, saws, snips, ladders. My tree guy has only one truck and a crew of 4 and he takes in between $2000 - $3000 per day!!!!!!!! 6 days a week.
    A lot of lawn guys here have made the transition to tree work.
  4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a tree guy who does all the tree work they work hard and they make money but they also pay high prices for equipment ropes trucks chippers and saws. I do all the bushes shrubs and such but yes it is good money 2 times a year we prune a large estate and he removes a prunes trees a few each year the total bill is usually 5,000 he gets most of it but I make a weeks worth of mowing in a day. prune if your good!
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Tree service used to be part of my business before I got out of the business all together several years ago. I've been back 7 years now, and tree work didn't come back with me. I sub it out now and will probably continue to.

For me, this corner of the business sucked. I mean if you are in the right area with the right economy, there is plenty of money to be made. But for me it just didn't seem worth it to get back into that and the ins and outs of it just didn't fit my new plan either.

My experience was the business boomed when the economy boomed, and business lagged when the economy lagged. But that was no big deal at all for me at the time.It was the un-ending aggrivation of it all. The people, their neighbors, the help, the equipment, the risk...

The fact of the matter is it would really blow your mind to get a load of what a lot of people around here expect. You just would not believe how many people around here are foolish enough to expect you to do the job and clean it up for the wood. Especially if it involves falling a tree, or if that is a part of the job. Amazing.

The job is dang hard work, filthy, time consuming, aggravating, risky and downright dangerous. Plus the insurance is outreagous, the equipment is expensive to buy, and maintain, and the regular maintenance is a continous un-ending nightmare. Something needs attention constantly.
  6. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I appreciate the replies, but I was actually talking about ornamental bushes, hedges, small trees that an orchard ladder can is true that the tree work would be something I would NOT take on...I do appreciate the feedback..