lawn mowing prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danby405, Jun 14, 2001.

1. danby405

danby405 LawnSite Member

I'm new to the mowing industry and have some pricing QUESTIONS?

1 how are most of you pricing by your time spent on the lawn or buy the sq footage

what do you charge per hour
    what do you charge per 1000 sq feet

I've only done lawn treating and I'm sick of only getting paid 5 or 6 times a year I wanna get in on this 26 pays per yer

2. danby405

danby405 LawnSite Member

It's me again asking for everyone's help on this one?
    the only thing i realy have to add is another question about insurance does anyone know of any good company to go through.
    Also how important is insurance when your getting started

I'm staying up waiting for replys

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you tried the search function at the top of the page?. This is a good place to start. If you can't find what you are looking for there, then come back and ask. I'm sure people here, will help.

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Your going to get a varied response on this question. I try to charge by the amount of time I will be there not by sq. footage. When giving estimates you should factor in all the objects your going to have to trim around, leaves, type of grass, type of lot(wooded on each side) etc.

Insurance is important, you never know when something might happen.

26 times a year? There are 52 weeks in a year in Alabama. Set up your accounts so you get paid 12 months a year, you still need to eat in the winter unless you hibernate.

How much to charge is entirely up to you. Base it on what you need to make a profit. You should also have some idea of what your area will bring in terms of price. If you go too low your going to wind up being called a lowballer by somebody on here! If you are too high it won't take long to figure out when the people your giving estimates too say "your too high, my last guy did it for $10.00!"
    At any rate it takes time to figure out where you should fall as far as pricing. Do some research on here and you might find out what your market will bring. It seems to me that $35.00 per cut is a fairly good average country wide...................I SAID AVERAGE........but that still depends on how quickly you can get in and get out.

5. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I agree with Homer. You need to find out what your going rate is in your area. When I just started out I was charging 25.00 for a small lot. Now I don’t cut anything less than 30.00

Like homer said when you pull up to give a estimate look at the whole picture. I made the mistake of just looking at the turf. Needles to say that job has more string trimming then you can shake a stick at.

I like to find out how much time I will be at the location and charge accordingly. I have found out that it is always better to spend time at your lawns and also invest some of your time with the customer. I feel by spending time with the customer’s will pay off big time.

6. danby405

danby405 LawnSite Member

thanks for aqll the info guys it's been realy benificial:)

7. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Dear Danby, here are some things to consider: is there a fence to the backyard? How narrow is it? Does this mandate a walk-behind? Is there a slope in the yard? How long/wide- lots of trimmer work on this? Doing one of their neighbors? How much of a discount? I offer a free cut to the person who recommends someone who signs a year contract. I lower their monthly amount if they are in sight of my truck. How many bushes are in the yard? Alot? Price these seperatly- I charge by the hour on this work ($25.00). How is the slope of the roof? How many times a year do they want it blown off?

Just some thoughts'

Sheppard