Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsM, Jan 30, 2008.

1. LawnsM

LawnsM LawnSite Member

Hey everyone!

I really need some input on this! We have 20 customers in Indiana whose yards are approx. 5,000 sq. ft. We charge anywhere from $25-$30 for these lawns. However, we are going to market to larger neighborhoods this year. I am in an estimating dilemma. Obviously, for a 10,000 sq. ft. yard, the price shouldn't double. What should be my pricing formula be? I really need input. Any help will be very much appreciated!
  2. LawnsM

LawnsM LawnSite Member

Some more specifics. I think we are on the low end for lawn mowing prcing in our area. Secondly, a 5,000 sq. ft. yard takes one of our men 15 minutes. A 15,000 sq. ft. lawn takes 25-30 minutes for one man. Thanks guys! :weightlifter:
  3. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't an acre approximately 46,000 Square feet ?? If so, I can't imagine a yard the size of 5,000 SF !!
  4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i used to have some zero-lot-lines that i cut, from the time i got the edger off the trailer to the time i hung the blower was about 12 minutes. i can't remember if those were $20 a shot or $25. that was with the 36" metro also...

i've had some properties that the tax assessor has listed at .02 acres.
  5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say that we probably maintain about 75 or so properties that are under 5000 sq.ft. of turf. Our minimum is $35.00 per visit to mow, edge, trim, & blow. We do bag the majority of our properties & do haul away the debris. Yes, leaf removal is additional.
  6. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

1 dollar per thou sq ft and a 20 dollar stop charge. example 10,000 tho square ft would be 10.00 dollars plus 20 dollar stop for a grand total of 30.00 plus 6% state sales tax 31.80 a cut. Make your stop charge for your area it maybe 15.00 or 30.00 whatever your area can handle.
  7. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I base my prices on an hourly estimate 60 hr for me 100 hr me and a helper You have a find and hourly rate you are comfortable with
  8. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

a 5000 sq ft yard is 100ft long 50ft wide with a house and garage lawn and landscape and the house may be about 1800 sq ft
  9. LawnsM

LawnsM LawnSite Member

The neighborhoods we cut grass in are real "cookie cutter" type lawns. The homes are close together. The total lot size is 7-6,000 sq. ft. The lawn (without the house) is that size as well. I'll cut grass in any neighborhood if they'll pay me! :laugh:

THanks for all the input guys. ANYONE ELSE CARE TO SHARE?
  10. LawnsM

LawnsM LawnSite Member

Just curious... How much would you guys charge for an acre?