Lawn Mowing Shoes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mwalz, Aug 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking to expand next year and i will definitely need some decent shoes. Preferably semi-waterproof, and will take a lot of abuse and will last at least one season. I won't be mowing all day but possibly every day. I operate a wb w/sulky and a push mower. Just wondering what all you guys out there use for shoes? It's seems simple but it matters to me a lot. I don't like boots so maybe like hiking shoes or something like that. Looking at this pair so tell me what you think:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...91&ppp=96&cp=4406646.4413987.4417989.11690810

If you recommend any try to keep the price at or below $80 if possible.

Thanks for the input.

2. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

$80 not enough for a good pair. I spend $110 2 times a year for Hi Tech boots and they don't last all year.

3. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

New Balance 481. Super comfortable and lots of traction.

4. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

When I was part time I used a shoe similar to that one. It lasted about a month. If I was full the maybe a week. I bought lawn grips which were very comfey. Not being able to find them, I bought a 200 pair of redwings. I'm on my 2nd season. I where them all over. I also do farm work in them. I hope to get another season out of them.

5. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Hiking shoes with gore tex or some water proof membrane. I get one pair a year. Merrill refuge pro's. Light and supportive with lots of traction and totally waterproof.

6. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Lot's of excavated hill sides between houses round here. I like a Medium to Heavy weight full leather hiking boot. Needles to say rabbit whole what whole. :cool2:

7. nashlawn01

nashlawn01 LawnSite Senior Member

I used to wear steel toe loggers. My back started hurting so I bought a pair of Columbia hiking boots. They are awesome. I bought a pair of lawn grips and they only lasted half season. They were really comfortable but hot. I would like to try another pair if I didn't have to order them from Internet

8. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

Like i said boots aren't my thing but i've been wearing a pair of old nike and they don't seem very sturdy, anything you guys know of with support in them too?

9. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't like boots either but wear them early spring/fall when its cold and/or mushy.

When its warm I wear the 481's and love them.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I use two shoes for different conditions. When wet, I use Lands End Duck shoes, ankle height. I often start out in the morning with them, when the dew is heavy. Or if I know rain is coming, I will change to these shoes.

When dry, I now have Timberland Pro. I have used Carolina (model I wore was discontinued), and Wolverine Dura-Shocks. Both the Carolina and Wolverine lasted about one season, maybe a bit longer for the Wolverines. I only have a few months on the Timberland Pro, and they look to be holding well.

I agree with an above comment: Spend $110-130, or more, on a good pair of work boots. The $80 variety won't last, and will not be kind to your feet. There are enough discomfort challenges in the field without having to be concerned about sore feet.