Lawn Mowing Shoes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mwalz, Aug 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I wear the same style under the Magnum brand. I pay 120 a pair. Super comfy with side zippers for easy on or off. They also dry fast when they get soaked. I only get 6 to 9 months from them too. I've tried others but they didn't feel good and feel apart at 3 months. BTW is another deductible expense.

2. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

I bought the new balance 411 v2 in early June, the deep ridges wore down a couple weeks ago but there is plenty of traction. The only hill I have trouble on is a 55deg hill but most guys won't go on a hill that steep. (I get paid $60 for 25mins of work). They only cost $45, they will get me through the whole season while working 6 days a week 8-12 hour days.

What lco footwear comes down to is boots or shoes. All good boots are waterproof and not breathable. With shoes you can either get waterproof and not breathable or breathable and wet in the mornings. I have a heavier pair of basketball shoes that I will wear when the lawns are really dewey in the morning.

-Michael

3. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Tall Stihl LawnGrips... The only reason I wear them is because it says STIHL on them :) :)

4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I wear running shoes. Mostly whatever brand fits well and has lots of "grippy" on the bottom - most tend to be New Balance.

I need breathable because my feet sweat too much otherwise. The drawback is wet mornings and rainy days, but like others have mentioned, I carry two pair - one to start the day (usually a more "solid" toe area) and another, more breathable pair to change into once the tootsies get wet.
    I only wear boots in early spring when I'm wearing long pants.

I know, I know. This is the wrong thing to do. I will immediately go buy $300 boots and work in misery because someone on the internet told me that running shoes are not the right thing for me to wear. :p

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

The only real wrong footwear is flip flops and crocs.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

A few years ago, another contractor was working the property next to my customer. He had two others working with him, one of which was working barefoot. Yes, barefoot!!! The last I saw of him, he was mowing a hillside with a hand mower.

... makes shivers run up/down my spine as I recall seeing this man.

7. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear basketball shoes. I have size 17 feet so I wear what I can find.

8. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr LawnSite Member

I've literally have worn oodles of boots/shoes.
    Craftsman boots/shoes
    Carolina Boots
    Wally World boots/hikers/shoes all junk!
    Work n Sport
    Work n Sport USA made
    Dept. store shoes/boots
    Hiking Sandals
    and the list goes on and on...lol!

Last few years it's been TG boots. 2 sometimes 3 pairs a season.
    Safety Towed/all leather/lined and $60.

Next thing I'll try is some Colombia hikers.

Chris

9. chefcam864

chefcam864 LawnSite Member

LaCrosse QuadComfort boots. They're very, very comfortable, waterproof, and nice looking. Run about $120, but can be had on sale for around $85. I've been wearing mine for 3 years (I was a part timer for a while)

10. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually wear my old sneakers, once those wear out ill buy a pair of $12 starter running shoes from walmart and finish the season in them. Once fall hits it's work boots for clean ups.