Lawn Mowing Shoes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mwalz, Aug 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, I buy $100 shoes on sale for $35 and they last 4 times longer than $10 shoes.

:D

2. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

well, for me it's usually the sole that goes.
    a walkbehind, an edger then grabbing the trimmer and using the blower adds the miles in hurry.
    My feet let me know when the street and turf are getting too close.
    I've tried the $$ shoes, they wear out almost as fast.
    If someone wants to demo me a pair that will go 2 seasons I'll pay the shipping. lol

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  3. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

I got about 5 months out of my last pair of Merrells. I got 3 months out of the last pair of New Balance sneakers.

I had a nice pair of The North Face Hedgehog GTX XCR III they had metal wire for laces and a ratcheting mechanism on the back to tighten them up. Really liked them but the mechanism failed after 6 months and I wore them for another month before the rest of the shoe fell apart.

I'm currently wearing a pair of Hi-Tec Natal Mid WP and the insoles are already starting to break down after 2 months.

I've just ordered a pair of Vasque Breeze GTX 2.0 to try out.

I'd love to get a year out of a pair of shoes!!

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Florida we get jungle rot. Your shoes are wet from morning dew to afternoon showers and sweat. Wet feet are a way of life down here.

5. Greg78

Yes forgot to add that part. My shoes almost always wet during season.

6. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

If you don't like your Vasque's...I fully expect to hear some heat from ya.
    But unless you ride a Z/Stander all day, I doubt you'll get a full year out of them...but here's to hoping you do. :drinkup:

(Don't cinch them too tight in the toe area is my best advice.)

7. ncpete

ncpete LawnSite Senior Member

I wear Fila Skeletoes most of the time, but if I am expecting to work in a yard with dogs, or rye grass that has gone to seed, I will wear my boots. Nothing like the traction I get with the skeletoes. I even plan to start golfing in them, whenever I get to golf again.

8. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

The biggest problem with these threads is there are so many unknowns. I have wide, flat feet and tend to wear the outside of the sole faster on my shoes. You can see the outer edge of my heel hits firsts and gets worn faster than the inner heel. I wear Keen waterproof Siskiyou, http://tinyurl.com/kkfyghf
    They work for me because I need the wide toe box but if you have narrow feet they will not work for you. These are the most comfortable for me, the best thing for you to do is try on lots of shoes and maybe even go to a place that does foot mapping and shows you the best for your foot shape. I get a new pair once a year. I usally wear a hole in the sole and kill the waterproofing in a year.

9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

10. Greg78

Thanks for the advice. At this point I'm more concerned about comfort and how waterproof they will be. If they are comfortable for at least 6 months I'm good.