Lawn Mowing Shoes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mwalz, Aug 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

Well everyone is saying they get so much time out of shoes, but what does that really mean? Soles wear out? Do they tear? Why do you guys only get so long out of shoes?

2. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Got 7 months on them. Tread starting to split and getting slick, sole coming loose and of course the metal laces are gone. The insoles are starting to break down as well, I can always tell when the insoles start to go my feet ache. I don't just ride the mower all day so I do a lot of walking several trips around each property and they are wet pretty much all day.

20130831_140625.jpg

20130831_140645.jpg

3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I exclusively wear DannerĀ® Gore TeX hiking boots.

4. WishforScagWildcat

WishforScagWildcat LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I have bramha boots from walmart and lovem, their cheap and comfortable! Their is probably better boots or shoes, but for what they are, they do excellent for me!

5. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

Finding the right shoe/boot to work in is definitely a challenge for me. A few years ago when I first started I wore Nike airmax shoes which wore out within about 3 months or so. Then I switched to some old shoes I had which got me through the rest of the season. Now I have a pair of stainless steel work shoes. None of these shoes have good traction for walk behind use and definitely not waterproof. The nikes were the most comfortable. I'm a small frame guy and have small feet (size 7 depending on shoes) so its hard to find boots to wear. Plus I like light weight footwear but something comfortable.

6. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

This is a relative/subjective situation...like that pair of torn-up shoes a few posts up. I can tell you right now that I would have HAD to replace those shoes long before he did. OUCH!

For me, I'll begin to feel a stress somewhere (foot/ankle/knee/hip/low back/etc)...and a new pair of boots fixes it. Being pain-free at the end of the day AND the next morning is my goal...and parting with money for new boots seems to be the answer.

If/when I wear the old boots again, even for a few hours...I'll begin to feel the stress/pains all over again. Will attribute this to break-down/compression of the mid-sole materials coupled with treadwear.

8. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

the hound seems to think this thread is a little boring. lol

9. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear Caterpillar Boots in the winter and ankle work shoes in the summer. Both are steel toe and I can get close to two seasons out of each. Meijer sells them and you normally pay 110, but on sale can be had for 90 or so.

10. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

The Oboz Sawtooth feel pretty nice, but the leather needs to be broken in to get more room in the width. The similar shoes made by Keen felt better but they don't lock your heels in fully.

The Oboz are $130, the Keen's were $110. If you are a member at Eastern Mountain Sports you get an additional 20% off.

Im debating on buying a pair but I normally switch to my Timberland Pro boots in September. My boots will be toast by next Spring and that's when I plan to buy the Oboz shoes.

-Michael