Lawn Mowing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bonfire, Jun 18, 2006.

1. bonfire

bonfire LawnSite Member

Hey everyone!

I am a 13 year old boy from Lawrenceville, Ga. I recently started a lawn mowing business called Lawn Monster. So far I have made $145. I only advertise on Craigs List. I want to diversify my advertising. What can I do? How should I go about making flyers? Should my flyers say that I am a 13 year old? Should it say that You have to provide the equipment? Thanks alot!!

2. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

You use someone else's equipment?

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah stuffdeer, man's 13 year's old, I did what he's doing many years ago, it was great cash.

Craigslist is that kind of a list as I'm finding out, a good place for someone young to advertise. In addition, you might can try some grocery stores that have those bulletin boards, maybe make up and pass out some flyers...

As for what you have to tell them, you don't have to tell them anything on the ad so long you don't lie about it or hide it...
    I am sure they can figure out the age thing so I wouldn't worry there, but yes at some point in the estimating process you will have to talk about the equipment usage, you might ask them on the phone if they have a mower or if they're not too far up the road, just go on over there anyway.

I mean, you can put it on the ad but I think it might deter some folks for no reason. Yes, you'll get some phone calls that will result in a waste of your time but at the same rate, you will get calls that result in business that might not have.
    Just my .000002

4. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Ohhh, Sorry,

That doesn't sound that bad.

5. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Mentioning your age will get you lower prices. Also, I don't know about Workers Compensation programs around your place, but you may want to check into that. Are you able to sign contracts at 13? Here in Canada, it's 18 years old to sign valid contracts.

One thing, don't go cheap as the lawncare business has many people like you that drive the price down below the ground.

Good luck.

6. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Everybody before you post u are too young ,, or are you licensed and insured? or i hope you are collecting tax

realize he is 13 and he will in no way effect your business so stop crying and help the kid out think if it was your little cousin who wants to follow in your steps .... Its better he learns the hard way at 13 then when he is in college trying to pay bills ... If he kills someone he will go to juve for a little and it will be whipped of his record lol jk
    Dont put your age on the flyers anywhere.. when you talk to the customers you better hope u are professional or they will have zero faith in you and not sign up.. Door hangers are a great form of advertising and so is the local paper but that might bring to much business so either door hangers or print something on your computer and distribute you will get 1 or 2 for every 1000 flyers you hand out but since u are young as hell its going to be a little less

have a list of references for the lawnss you are working on now and dont give up.. give them references for every family member even if you dont cut there house.. Lying isnt good but u gotta do what u gotta do to start up and you will eventually realize in the long run whatthe right ways are but at 13 it will be hard as hell..

i wish i started when i was 13 .... not that 19 is late

7. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

I like the name "lawn monster" lol. that should be your screen name "The Lawn Monster" grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

8. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

if you havent got the equipment you should specify that and your age as well. good luck

9. Greengo

Greengo LawnSite Member

WTG bonfire, and good luck!

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I like the "you provide the equipment " part.
    Would free up a lot of cash and cut way back on the maintenance. :clapping: