Lawn Of Shame....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, May 14, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

On the way home today I drove past the Irving Oil gas station shown below and couldnt believe the job thats getting done there on the property. All done with a 21" and clippings everywhere, no trimming, and missed spot (not to mention the ditch) They are owned by the Irving family who are worth about 4 billion dollars and have billions of dollars in revenues every year from oil refineries, shipbuilding, transportation, retail, foresty, pulp and paper, and a slew of other business. (www.jdirving.com)Couldnt they afford a real LCO to maintain the lawn?? I went and talked to the store manager and he wasnt very impressed with the job their doing but they have a contract for the season... Lowest bidder = crappy work in the case I guess.

p5230007.jpg

2. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

That lawn does look bad. Did you try to get the job, or are they on a contract?

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

he just mentioned the contract...

4. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Most contractshave stipulations. Have him read it and if craftmanship is mentioned he could cut them loose and hire a new LCO as long as they come to an agreement on the money. Since most contracts are prorated that would need to agreed upon.

Tim

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

DID YOU READ THE POST?

:mad:

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

That picture must not tell the entire story. Nothing in it looks shocking to me. I was expecting to see mounds of grass in the parking lot and a unmowed section at least 2 feet taller than the rest.

7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

well the ditch is obviously not trimmed:rolleyes:

8. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Who ever said rich people arnt cheap too? The manager probably gets a bonus based on the stores profits. Every expence counts against the profits. The manager doesnt care what it looks like, to them just keeping the grass legal height is probably enough. Unfortunatly I deal with a company like this in town. We do a very good pro-job, but only every 10 days. They dont pick up the trash and every time I come its looks like crap again. I do two lawns for them in town, one is very big, and one small. It is profitable for me, but I am embarrased because it ends up looking like crap. I had them for 4 years now, they where my first comercial account. Im hopping to keep adding to my route, so I can explain to them from now on we will be cutting every 7 days and if they dont like it they can go with some one else and it wont hurt me that much. When your starting out you got to do what you gotta do.

9. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen a lot worse, especially at a gas station.

10. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

Sorry guys, I thought he could get them out of the contract somhow.