Lawn On Steriods

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, May 24, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I was driving through a neighborhood that I mow in on Fridays and one of my customer is fertilizing and watering way too much. The st Augustine looks like jungle turf. I cut it already at 3 3/4'' but what a pain. I don't know where to go from here, obviously I'm gonna be up at 4'' soon but the mess afterward is talking forever I'm at $75 right now which is pretty good for the area. I am wondering if i should keep mowing this field (we haven't even started the rainy season) or drop them? Would it be right to ask them to cut back on the fert and water? Btw they have a fert company come out every 3 mon plus they fert themselves in between. Its also by far the greenest yard in the subdivision. I will send some before and after pics soon.

2. pasto_guy

pasto_guy LawnSite Member
    from VA

Tell them what you have told us. Explain to them that with all of the fert it is going to take more cuts and time. Explain to them what your pricing adjustment will have to be.

3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Hopefully i wont have any problems with them regarding my advice on how much fert and water.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

tell them that they are actually creating problems by ferting too much. that much growth can cause a lot of thatch to build up because of the excessive growth. also tell them that watering too much can also damage their lawn, they could get fungus and other turf problems from keeping the soil moist all the time.

if they won't listen, sell them on dethatching and aerating to counteract their over zealous fert regime.