Lawn or Landscaping?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Updog, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Updog

Updog LawnSite Member

I'm just venting a little here. Why do these guys that don't have a clue about LANDSCAPING buy a mower and call their company blabla landscaping. I can't tell you the # of times people ask if we really do landscaping or just cut grass. Lawn maintenance is not landscaping. Just a vent I have anyone else feel the same way.

2. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I go to a barber, hair dressers are for sissys :rolleyes:

4. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I will tell you why we put landscaping on our name (back in our lawn/landscaping days) First we knew eventualy we would get into more elabaret landscaping projects... Such as new installs. Second we wanted to get the mulching/rock jobs. So if we started out with bla bla lawn maint. we would have to change the name over to bla bla landscaping in a couple of years. Which would require getting a new DBA bank account change tax id so on so forth. but I do understand what you mean about the mow and blow guys that call themselves landscapers but realy do not do any landscape work.

5. Updog

Updog LawnSite Member

I understand the name change thing why not be the green company or whatever enterprises. I do enjoy this site and I understand helping people understand the industry so the market doesn't get dumbed down but there are so many people on here that don't seem to know jack crap about anything and try to get people on this site to bid every thing for them. I put in alot of time and effort to get my education and knowledge it drives me crazy when some Jo calls his beermoney job bubbas landscaping they do get jobs from that name probably customers I wouldn't want but they do bad work and this reflects on everyone. Not every used car salesman is a crook or liar but a few crappy one gave them that rep. I know nothing I gripe about here is going to change a thing but I just wanted to share my misery.

6. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I go to a barber also, 40 years in business same location, 71 years old, the last of the breed. When he gives it up I'll have to start shaving my head as I am not going to the salon. At least a shaved head is in style now. And I'm just lawn care and labeled as such. Done a few little landscaping jobs, but wouldn't pretend to be a landscaper, although some customers call me that.

7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

HTML:
    Not every used car salesman is a crook or liar but a few crappy one gave them that rep.

No I disagree, they are all crooks and liars. :)

8. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Updog-
    I whole heartedly agree with you! Be creative with your name, don't just pick something and stick landscaping at the end of it! But I will take it one step further.... why is it that when I run an ad for "Mowing crews" that I get calls from people saying they have so many years doing landscaping? If I wanted a person for my "landscaping" crews, I would have stated that in the ad or atleast mentioned the word "Installation".

9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

It boils down to public perception. People think that anything done outdoors is landscaping. I once had a call that stated "we have a ton of Landscaping to do, can you do it for us?" So, I get my photo album, my laptop, my pamphlets/brochures, etc. so I am ready for anything. I get to the site and their house is well maintained w/ nice, mature landscaping and I said "What can I do for you?" They proceeded to say "Can you mow my grass?" ;)
    from then on I try to get a little more info on the phone. Lesson learned.

Chris

10. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Easy bud. I know where your coming from though. You feel that it takes alot more knowledge to run a landscaping company then it does to run a lawnmowing company. Which is completely true. I too am frustrated some times when I tell people what I do and they think I am just a lawnmower. But there is no reason to mock those guys doin lawnmowing out there either. I know of several that could do landscaping but have figured out that they can make alot of money just doing lawn mowing. I too have seen that old guy with an 82 dodge held together with duct tape, with a wood trailer he built himself with a toro mower on the back that has a craftsmen engine it since that was the cheapest mower he could buy, and he went and put that damn sign on the side of his truck that says eds landscaping. It really ticks me off too, but at the end of the day if you are making money and you have respect in what you do, well then it doesnt really matter now does it. Always gnna be those guys out there cant do nothing about it. Just make fun of em and screw there wives.