lawn ornaments ... wtf!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slikrick, Nov 4, 2004.

1. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

so 3 of my residentials for halloween had these lights and scary looking people and even little kid lawn ornaments all over the place.... so i would move them, mow and put them back as close as i could. well it was only for 2 weeks so i let it go but told them in the future to please have them up when i mow...... christmas is around the corner and i know they will be back out but im sure there will be more clients w/ this problem. what do you guys do w/ lights on the ground and so on? do you just weed eat around them and mow where you can? if so what about splitting the wire? man i never thought about this stuff when i started this up a few months back! and if you do mess somthing up do you replace it for the customer? what to do what to do!?
    thanks
    richie

2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a customer a long time ago because his lco trimmed all of his shrubs right after he put lights on them. I go around decorations no one has ever complained.

3. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

hahahaha, guess i better remember about the lights in the shrubbs then! what a jack head !

so you go around them w/ the eater? the good thing though is that the grass isnt growing too fast anyways

4. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

If the item suddenly appears after the lawn has been bid I tell the customer that I charge $1.00 extra for every item I have to trim around.

5. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

If there is a lot of stuff, I won't mow the yard. Thankfully none of my customers do much other than lights. I don't mind moving an extension cord or two.

I ended up having to pull the lights off of one hedge last year. The bush was in need of trimming and Christmas was about a month past.

6. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

At least during the season you expect the lights to be there...

Last June I did some hedges, and had to pull the Christmas lights off then! Lady said, oh yeah, I was going to do that last week. I just wondered if she was real late, or really early decorating at that time of year! ;)

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

sometimes i run them over. but, one lady last week, i picked them all up, threw them onto the walkway, cut the grass , and drove away

8. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

What would I do? Well I'd first have to shovel about a foot of snow from around each decoration then trim the frozen grass!! :D

I guess that's another good reason to live in the north country, don't have to worry about cutting and trimming around decorations. I'm guessing down in your neck of the woods this could be a major PITA. I'd hate to get an electrical cord wrapped up under the deck of my Z...yikes. Good luck with this, be careful as I'd think it could be a hazard to yourself as well.

Buck

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, I am glad I don't have to deal with it either

10. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

It all depends if I like the customer or not. Some people I have moved it for. And others that piss me off get cut around with no trimming around the object.