Lawn Overseeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ricky, Sep 14, 2000.

1. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

I live in W. Ky I need to overseed my lawn. I can rent a power seeder that verti-cuts and has a hopper for seed that it dispenses, or i can rent a core aerator. Which will get the best results? I will be planting fescue.

Thanks
    In His (lawn) Service

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I prefer the aerating. Cutting the slits seems to make pretty little rows in the lawn, not a thick lush lawn.

3. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

DO BOTH, AS THEY REALLY AREN'T INTENDED TO FIX THE SAME PROBLEMS....AERATING FIXES COMPACTION....AND SLICE SEEDING HELPS SEAT THE SEEDS AND GET THEM DOWN TO THE SOIL...

4. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone had experience with both.

Ricky

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Use an aerator. It will be faster than a slit seeder, plus you will releave soil compaction

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can only do one operation, better result will come from slitseeding. Since seeding success depends on seed/soil contact, core aerating, then slitseeding would give you the best germination. When coring, do not just make a single pass, make 2 to 4 passes - as many as you can without damaging the surface. The more soil brought up, the better.

7. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

Another vote for use both, slit seeeder and aerator. When you slit seed make two passes at 45 degree angle to each other. Just put half of total seed needed in each pass. This helps eleminate the "row" look when seed germinates. I have found the most important thing is to tell customer to lightly water 2-3 times a day, or pay you to. It's all a waste of time and money and your reputation if the newly germinating seed dries out and dies. I'll be doing the same this coming week. Looking forward to back ache and $$$ in pocket. Good luck!

8. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

Well, I went with the Bluebird overseeder. I dispensed less than half one way, then went over it again at a 45 degree angle. That left about 1/4 of the recommended amount that I spread with a Cyclone seeder. ( I thought this would be better than running out.) I also went with "Falcon two" fescue. The darker color sold me. I am looking forward to mowing something other than WEEDS! Thanks for the help .

Ricky

In His (lawn) Service