1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Painting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ijustwantausername, Jun 14, 2011.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i think if i lived in an area like that i would just have a yard of those white rocks used in flower beds...and just forget about grass altogether lol
  2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen some bermuda target greens on a driving range painted green in the winter and i thought that up close they looked pretty fake. They had to repaint every thirty days to maintain the color.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If it is a small area we use backpack....but hard to get it as green as those
    pictures show with Lesco paint.
  4. Brett's Lawn Care

Brett's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I always thought they were spaying some sort of a liquid fert, is that not what it is?
    Fert w/ some "paint"
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. jshardy

jshardy LawnSite Member

Did you decide to do the grass painting? How is it going?
  6. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have actually had several customers as about this product. They all have Zoysia grass. I live in Va. Where do you get the mix from?
  7. JBNC

JBNC LawnSite Member

I've seen some lawns around here(Central NC) that are painted green in the winter. Every one I have seen looks horrible, I don't know if it's an application issue or the fact that the paint was fading and they needed to be redone. Either way, it just looked incredibly fake to me.
  8. Turf Logic

Turf Logic LawnSite Member

Believe it or not the trick is to mix flat black latex exterior house paint with the lesco paint. John deere landscapes has a write up for it. I was really against it because every example I had seen looks terrible. We had a client that had three model homes who insisted that we do it. We used the ratio from JDL and it looked awesome.
  9. Bates Lawn Care

Bates Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I know this is an old thread but do you know where I could find that link ? Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. XC skier

XC skier LawnSite Member

I tried this about 15 years ago when a severe drought caused everything to go dormant. I used a bp sprayer, but it was difficult to color evenly and the real tricky part was trying to make money at it. Most who are concerned about a nice lawn have irrigation and those who could benefit from it sure aren't going to for it. I tried offering mulch coloring which is more practical but, again it's a tough sell and even tougher to make enough money to bother with.