Lawn patch work

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawnut101, May 18, 2008.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

A guy called me and wants 2 patches of his lawn seeded. They are both about 9'x15', and have woodchips from a stump grinder. I figure it will take at the most an hour to scoop all the chips into my truck, so probably $50 for that. And then I will have to charge a dump charge, probably $20 for that. And then for materials I will need about 15 bags or so of top soil. The bags cost me $1.50 each, so I would charge $3 to apply each one. So that's $45 for that part. Plust $15 for seed, and $5 for fertilizer. So total that's like $135 total. That seems like a lot of money for a patch job. But I do have to drive about 20mins to get there. Does this sound fair or am I way high, and is this job only worth about $50-60?:confused:

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Your under cutting your self. I'd double what you came up with. Where is your labor for doing it all?

3. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

Aren't you the same guy that was trying to get a mowing job for a 1 acre cemetary for $25 last week? If so, you really need to work on your pricing.

How can you guess the job is only worth $50-60 when you have supplies to buy and you are saying it will take at least 2+ hours?

:hammerhead:

4. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

175-ish sounds good to me.

5. Blackcoal

Blackcoal LawnSite Member

your way off on the amount of topsoil the hole is 18-24 inches deep. You need to really think about your pricing structure if you want to make any money. I bid it last week and figured 3-4 yards of topsoil. GL if you keep underbiding everyone by that much.

6. Lawnut101

Sorry, I'm not trying to underbid, I'm just new at the landscaping thing and don't know what the going rate is for this kind of stuff. Don't worry, I'm not a lowballer, I lost 2 lawn installation jobs because I was the highest bidder. I just wanted some advice. Thanks.

7. Lawnut101

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't get that job. It would've been a pain in the butt. I picked up a ton of better jobs since then.

I'm new and I'm learning. I'm not trying to lowball intentionally. I will not work for nothing. I do have low overhead though, my only payments are on a mower I just bought. Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as a lowballer, but like I said, I'm learning what the going rates around here for different jobs are. Thanks for the help

8. Lawnut101

I got the job just in case anyone cares. I figured my costs and quoted him a price. He said that it sounds fair. I'm glad. Thanks for the help guys. You steered me in the right direction.