1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Ph

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfmaster90, Feb 27, 2003.

1. turfmaster90

turfmaster90 LawnSite Member

Hey guys... I've had a brain fart!

I've got a customer I did a ph test on the soil. It came back at 8.5.

I know that to raise the soil ph you use lime. I can't remember what to use to lower the ph????:help: :confused:
  2. garyslawn

garyslawn LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

3. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

organic matter
  5. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

sulfur is used to lower ph. using fertilizer would take forever and a day to lower it down to where you need it. Make sure your talk to a reputable dealer of extension agent before applying. Sulfur must be used in small quanities and over a period of time. sulfur will burn the grass if used in large quantities. Try and incorporate it into a yearly program of a few apps per year if possible and take new soil samples once or twice a year to see the results.
  6. turfmaster90

turfmaster90 LawnSite Member

Thanks!!! That helped.....
  7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Here is a little additional info I put out:
    "For soil, the ideal pH range is between 6 and 7. This is important because some nutrients are only available to plants when the soil is within that pH range. Rainy areas, like the Pacific Northwest and eastern U.S., generally have low pH and more acidic soil. Lime is traditionally used to balance acidity. The soils of the Southwest and West have dry climates that lead to a more alkaline soil. These are often balanced by sulfur, but that is often a difficult task."

Good luck to you,
  8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you take a GOOD soil sample? By this I mean at least 10 cores from different spots in the lawn. If not then you may have just gotten an odd area that had really high pH. I really really doubt that in your area there are any lawns with a natural pH over 7