lawn preemergent + fert. for Kentucky blue

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mateo, Mar 4, 2003.

1. mateo

mateo LawnSite Member
    from Reno

I am looking for a good spring fert with a pre-em in it for all sorts of weeds and crabgrass in my Kentucky blue lawn (one area of about 1,200 sq ft is a tall fescue I think). My dealer wants to sell me a fert.(United Horticulatual Supply brand) with Barricade in it (.295 and .375). Is this a good pre-em or should I look for something else? Also, what ratios of N-P-K should I get for the spring?

My UHP dealer also said that there is no pre-em that works on dandylions. This happens to be my biggest weed problem each year. Is it true that there is no pre-em for dandylions? What about a post-emergent for weeds that can be put on dry grass. I have been using Scotts Turf Builder Plus 2 w/ weed control but it has to be put on wet grass with a drop spreader which I find to be a pain and it seems to stain my wet pavement if i'm not careful.

In the past years I used Scotts Turf Builder w/ Halts Crabgrass preventer. This has Pendimethalin in it. How wells does this work as a pre-em as compared to others?

2. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

We use Pendamethalin combination fert. Any products containing 24D will work for dandelions. High nitrogen right now for fescues

3. Usually talking about pre emerge we are referring to grassyweeds ( crab and goose grass). Some of the pre emerge do control some, but limitative number of broad leafs. Gallery is pre emerge for broadleaf, and usually used for winter weeds. Confront can be applied as post emerge on dry turf since asborb thru roots. slow acting, expensive, but good. Can be purchased on fert charrier