1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Prep for overseeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mattbluemont, Sep 23, 2004.

1. mattbluemont

mattbluemont LawnSite Member

Hi Pros and Experts - I know this is a commercial forum, but couldn't find the homeowner's version anywhere, plus you gave gave me great feedback when i was looking to purchase a compact tractor and ZTR.

I had about 4 acres hydro'd in May and want to overseed now. I have a JD790 and a spreader, but want to prep the yard as much as I can before throwing down seed. I don't plan on covering 4 acres w/ straw, and don't have any other implements for the JD to prep it. What I have seen/heard is to drag some chains behind the tractor to stir the ground just a bit for the new seed.

Since I don't have the chains, I'd like to try a redneck version - drag a heavy pallet behind the tractor to stir the dirt a bit. Am i wasting time in doing this? Any other suggestions, aside from buying the implement myself, which I don't want to buy and store for only using it twice/year. Should I not even worry about prepping the yard, and just throw down the seed? I live on a slope, so the rain is likely to take more of my seed than your average flat yard.

Thanks guys - Matt
  2. guystevenl

guystevenl LawnSite Member
    from PA

Well personally what I did at home was (I had no equipment either for the most part) was about the same. I pulled a pallet behind and old tractor cept I got a old piece of carpet...wrapped it around a pallet (so over humps the edges wouldn't dig in, and it would cause less stress to the turf...
    (I wouldn't reccomend doing this if you have kids around) I pounded a bunch of nails into the pallet thru the carpet around it-so the stuck out of the pallet about 1/2 inch to an inch to scuff up the soil real good, dethatch a bit (this was years back b4 I knew what slit-seeding and aerifying were) once I felt I had enough soil exposed, then I overseeded flipped the pallet over (dangerously with all the now bent nails facing up) and attempted to drag again hoping some of the seed would go into the holes. Worked pretty well for such a shadysetup. This was years ago, and hopefully someone will have a more cost effective idea for you. But for a back in the day attempt at the unknown it went pretty well. Anything to increase the seed soil contact should work. When it comes to inclines...and banks..Hope it doesent rain too hard (yeah seed floats)..doesen't take too much to wash it away. And give it some light water if you can to keep a bit of misture in it.
  3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Are you overseeding for color or just overseeding your current variety of grass for next year? In the West we do it for the winter.
  4. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

Have you thought about renting an aerator? This past week I rented a Ryan 4 ft. heavy duty pull behind aerator. It was $44 for the day from my local rental yard. I pulled it around with my 2 acres with my Yanmar 1500D and it did a great job. I then took it back and rented the Lesco Renovator 20 overseeder machine to put out my seed. It was a lot of work covering 2 acres with the overseeder machine but I think it will pay off. If your lawn is in decent shape to begin with, aerating and overseeding with your spreader should work just fine.