Lawn Prices by Acre

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JGroverCU, Jan 7, 2007.

1. JGroverCU

JGroverCU LawnSite Member

I was just wondering how you come up with the prices that you charge for fractions of an acre up to an acre. I know that the answer is whatever the customer will pay, but you cant just ask them for the most they will pay for a mow. I also know that most of you will say that is depends on your area, and it doesnt take a genious to figure that out. So, now that I have covered all of the folks that will leave the generic answers, how do you price your mow jobs by the acre?

2. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

Or ask it in the just starting in buisness forum

ps read the sticky post at the top of the main page for comm lawnmowing

3. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

First figure out how much it's going to cost you to mow an acre. Then add in insurance, equipment, and all of your other expenses. Finnally figure out how much you'd actually like to EARN an hour. You should be fairly close the industry standard in your area unless I've forgotten something.

4. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Never ask a customer how much they want to pay you! or how much the last guy charged! Use thesearch buttonabove and type in rates and then look for lcos in your area and then check theyre prices, it varies by the area. Or try an hourly rate try to achieve a 50-60 dollar pr.hr.if you can. Hope this helps:dizzy:

5. jasonj24680

jasonj24680 LawnSite Member

$50-$60 an hour? So If that customer takes you one hour, you will charge them around $240 a month for services? Who will pay that?

6. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

ud be suprised who's pay

7. jasonj24680

jasonj24680 LawnSite Member

I don't see how someone would want to pay $250 a month for someone to mow theiir grass. What other services are you including in the full service?

8. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Jason.. if they have that big of a property... they probably have a very big house.. with other big expenses.. For example we do a community of about 12 houses which are on about 2 1/2 - 4 acres each, they cost around$75 a week... You cant look at it like "who will pay that just to have their grass cut?" These people understand they have huge properties, and it costs $$ to cut it. The gas station attendants dont say, "well $120 is a lot just for gas" You knew the size of the tank when you bought the car!

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Consider some people will drop $4 a day at Starbucks...times 20 or so weekdays that's $80 a month :laugh: Not really the point...the point is people will pay if it's a service/product they desire. So don't sell yourself short.

Can't really tell you what to charge in your area...certainly you must have some idea of what to charge, right??

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

See, I don't know how many times I've left a pricing guide with 1/8th acre increments all the way up to 10 acres...
    And after about the 12th time or so, I started getting tired of copying and pasting the same dang thing over and over.
    Then, I question how much am I really helping by giving out the direct shortcut?

Which is why I'm beginning to understand their wise responses.
    So smart as it may sound, you just need to keep reading, and educating yourself.

Unfortunately, with free education there is no teacher or guide, you have to do the work yourself.
    But all of the information you seek is here, that much I guarantee.