1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Pricing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jdeer, Nov 5, 2006.

1. jdeer

jdeer LawnSite Member

I'm curious to know how estimate a lawn? I will be working alone for the first year, so I don't have to incorporate any worker fees... However, I still want to know what determines a lawn price. The amount of acre? Hourly wage? Flat rate? Anyone...
  2. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

set a minimum first.whats your time worth an hour?25,30,40 bucks?do you have large equipment bills?kinda ask around see what the other guys get for a yard.a lot of guys have a 21''mower they haul around and cut yards for 20 bucks that hurts everyone else who wants 35 and is doing a pro job.always charge what your worth or soon youll be worth what you charge.
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

It's a cross between what your market can/will bear and what YOUR costs are. You have to know your costs in order to bid. Figure out what you need to make hourly and determine how long a particular job will take, then you have what you will charge. I believe estimating how long a job will take gets better with experience. You will most likely be off one way or the other, but that is the learning curve and is just part of it. You can do a "search" here on this site and find info for days on this and other topics. This site is full of experienced lco's that know a lot about this business. Welcome aboard!
  4. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I use an hourly rate with a min. 1hr charge. Hope this helps
  5. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

So let's say you base your estimates on making $60.00 an hour ... and you take on a postage stamp lawn that will take 30 minutes ... you still charge them $60.00 instead of maybe the $30.00 - $35.00 they go for?

I base mine using the formula of $60.00 an hour, and then adjust from there. My minimum is $35.00 to take my equipment off the trailer ... with most of my residential accounts around here being in the $45.00 range.

6. jdeer

jdeer LawnSite Member

I like these ideas... its all coming together here. Thanks