Lawn pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by randy2625, Dec 8, 2003.

1. randy2625

randy2625 LawnSite Member

Last mowing season i was charging for me and my co worker 25.00/hr per person for mowing.so if a yard took me 30 mins i charged 25 bucks.Does that sound right are should i increase my pricing?

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

randy-If you make a living off of those prices, that's all that matters.I don't know the market in your area, so I can't tell you if you are charging enough or not. I would raise my prices if I were you.Also, don't bill by the hour on your invoices, people scrutinize every minute/second of billed time doing it this way. Figure your time per cut and bill with a per cut or monthly price.If you are figuring your time at say 30 mins. on an account,bought a bigger mower and cut off 10 minutes of time, you will be losing money for being more efficient!!!Figure the average time on a property under ideal conditions with X helpers, and arrive at your price.Allow for heavy cuts outside of the normal price. We charge 30% of the billed price for a heavy cut fee(if it hasn't been cut on a regular schedule) Also figure your costs of windshied time, equipment costs,labor w/ premiums, maint. costs, insurance, etc. into your pricing as well. Cover yourself on all accounts this way.Hope I gave a little help.:D

3. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

"Also figure your costs of windshied time, equipment costs,labor w/ premiums, maint. costs, insurance, etc. into your pricing as well. Cover yourself on all accounts this way."

Ditto what Impact said. I did some numbers work over the weekend and found our average visit is $52 and our mean account (same amount under as over) is $45. At a roughly 80% profit margin a $45 job equates to $36 net profit ($45 - $9). Our actual on-site time per account is about 50 minutes, so minimizing drive time by efficient scheduling is the key. It's best to break your coverage area into zones so you're not criss-crossing accounts daily, such as doing the southeast side of town on Monday, the west on Tuesday, etc.. We now have one area with 9 accounts that our total drive time is only 65 minutes.

Randy, you can plug in your own numbers and see where you will be next spring. Enjoy the holidays and here's to a prosperous 2004 to us all.

Terry

4. EvandSeby

EvandSeby LawnSite Member

This is what I charge for just me. You should be tightening your time to half of that to be approaching profitability.

5. randy2625

thanks guys for the help. it will improve my pricing alot.The really charges to me are insurence and gas but gas has dropped herto 1.25 a gallon figures its cheap over winter...:(

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I wish gas was $ 1.25 here.It's around $ 1.50-1.60 now.I get about 4-6MPG in my snow rig, it sucks gas in the winter.I'm thinking of installing a 100 gal. "piggyback" tank in the truck, and filling it when gas is cheaper.It will add some mid - ballast to the truck as well.:D

7. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

Randy,

Throw another $10 to the price. I don't want anyone here calling you a scrub.

Dennis

8. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Randy I Live in Cincinnati Ohio and the least I charge is $35.00 and that's for a postage stamp lawn i try to charge $65.00 per man hour

Hope that helps

9. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

How about this.
    $20. stop fee +
    $1. per thou for mulch-discharge.
    $2. per thou for bagging.
    $2. per thou for mulch-discharge and level #2 trimming as in not your normal trim job, example a residential with islands, flowers and shrub beds.
    $3. per thou for mulch-discharge and level #3 trimming such as apartment complexes.
    $4. per thou for bagging and level #3 trimming such as apartment complexes.
    $4. per thou for mulch-discharge and level #4 trimming such as single account subdivisions.
    $5. per thou for bagging and level #4 trimming such as single account subdivisions.
    :confused:
    This is the best I've come up with.

10. randy2625

Right now with me and my partner cutting charging 25 per person so 50 for a hour you want me to raise to 70 a hour Bravesfan.Seems like alot we have alot of competetion to bet around here.