Lawn problem, need help.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by riches139, Oct 24, 2003.

1. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn is turning brown in somewhat circular splotchy patches. Soil is very soft, softer than in should be in the brown areas. Thanks for any help.
    Will attach pics.

2. riches139

Pic

3. riches139

pic2

4. riches139

pic3

5. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Riches,
    Looks to me like moles.
    Take that picture to cooperative extension to confirm.

Pete D

6. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Start digging and see what you find. If you don't find anything use water to flush those critters to the top. My guess is grubs if the lawn is peeling up at all.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the mole situation, and yes, you will find some sort of insects in that area, as they are feeding in that concentrated area. Stick your finger down into the soil in one of these runs, and see if there is a tunnel. Pack them all down, and watch within the next day or two what ones come back up again. These are your active feeding runs. Do some research on trapping, there is a great site that has a link on here somewhere, just use the search feature, and put in "moleman". It should come up. Anyway, you should treat the insect problem there, as we. Check to see if you have chinch bugs or something similar, and like someone else said, there MAY even be grubs. Hit them with a shot of Diazonon or Dialox, and set some traps for the moles. Betwen getting rid of their food source in that area, and the trapping, you should be able to disperse them, anyway.

8. riches139

Thanks guys for your help.

9. tennissippi

tennissippi LawnSite Member
    from zone 7b

Could be dollar spot? Take a sample and have it tested.