1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn problem!!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by philk17088, Mar 31, 2008.

1. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen a lot of turf lately that has absolutely no root system left. Last fall these lawns were fine, no grubs, chinch or sodwebworm but over the winter something happened. Any one else seeing this? The problem is more pronounced in partial shade lawns. the turf peels right off and there are no roots. I can not find any insects or even dead bodies of insects. No bird actvity in the spots either.
    These lawns are wrecked.:cry:
  2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen a few lawns with spots of this as well. No visible signs of insect or disease. Do you think the thawing/re-freezing we had all winter had something to do with it?
  3. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

global warming.
  4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Had it terrible on a few lawns today. Part shade same as you. When the scrapers came thru and did the cleanup they left more dirt than grass.
  5. philk17088

I wonder if that might be possibility.
    I can't find any info on any disease that might do that damage either.
  6. BocaChris

BocaChris LawnSite Member

Just wondering, do you get nematodes up there?
  7. mountain

mountain LawnSite Member

I was just going to post the same question. i'd say 80% of the lawns we have been on so far this year are peeling up, with no sign so of any grubs or insects, some were even treated for grubs last summer. I was also thinking the hard icing we had this winter had some part in it, but would like to hear from anyone who might have a more definite explanation, or better yet a course of treatment to bring these lawns back from the dead?
  8. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Snow mold showing any? Couple of sites we do have it.
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I suspect the problem occurred during hot weather last fall. High soil temps and heavy shade is very tough on roots. Add in a dry spell or two, maybe a few grubs, heavy tree roots--maybe there is nothing left.
  10. philk17088

No, none of the symptoms of snow mold.
    Riggle maybe on to something there.We did have a very dry fall and was still dry going into dormant time.