Lawn Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaclawn, Jul 28, 2000.

1. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the situation. A lawn has been treated by one of the &quot;bigboys&quot; for a number of years. They did an adequate job, but the last few years the back yard was damaged by grubs. This is not total destruction, but many small to medium patches all over the cback yard.<p>I picked up the treatments this year, a bit later than a normal start, and I put down Dimension in the late spring. <p>Now, the lawn is looking better, but the bare areas that were damaged by grubs are now filling in with crabgrass and some annual weeds. The lawn is a rye/fine fescue mix, with very little bluegrass. (BTW I saw this same situation on a lawn next to a customer, however this lawn is blue, and has crept in very nicely since the spring.)<p>I know that there is a post emergent crabgrass liquid, have never used it, and don't plan to on this lawn, at least it is now green, not brown.<p>My question is: Would it be beneficial to put down a pre-emergent late in the fall, and again in the spring, considering that this lawn has a fairly severe crabgrass problem? I feel fairly confident that I will retain the customer next season, so I am not too worried about the money investment, but don't want to apply unnecessary pesticides?<p>BTW- The grubs will be taken care of this season, so that the damage does not hapen again.

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

A Pre-Emergent in the fall will not help with crabgrass. It will help with Poa, chickweed, henbit and other early spring weeds.

3. steven Bousquet

steven Bousquet LawnSite Member

next spring do two app of crabgrass control. one in late march and one in may. or use acclaim in may to clean out the crab.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Steven,<br>How much are you paying for Acclaim Extra in your area? I was considering this for some of my lawns with crab/quack patches but my distributor quoted me aprox 500 per gallon. At an ap rate of 0.015 to 0.171 oz its out of the question for small time guys like me.I'll have to stick with yankin it out.

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

i was just at lesco yesterday.... a quart of aclaim was 65 bucks! i said whaaaaaaatttt!

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

jaclawn, your best weed control is a dense, healthy turf, to reduce the possibility of weed germination. Preemergent chemicals are 85% to 98% effective, and a single crabgrass plant puts out 15,000 seeds. So you would expect to have 300 seeds germinate even with the best preemergent. In this lawn, probably best help would be to overseed this fall, and would be good to introduce bluegrass so future damages will repair themselves better. Also split app of pre-em and post app of Acclaim or Drive will help.<p>Univ tests years ago showed that very late fall app of pre-em will be effective next spring, because the pre-ems are broken down by soil microbal activity, which is non-existent during our winter months. Around here this would be a late Oct to early Dec application. This will act as your early spring app in a split app program.<p>As far as cost of post emergents, the highest label rate of Acclaim is .09 oz/K, so a quart of Acclaim will treat at least 35,500 sqft. I would rather spend $65, or even twice that, than pull even 500 sqft of crabgrass!!<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: GroundKprs

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

If you get to the crabgrass early try MSMA, $8.00 at Lesco for a 3 or 5 pound bag I think, 1oz per 3 gallons, very cheap! Drive works good but $$.