1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ByrnesLandscaping1, Apr 4, 2006.

1. ByrnesLandscaping1

ByrnesLandscaping1 LawnSite Member

Last Spring I redid a lawn for one of my customers. We dropped about 7 yards of loam, seed, and fertilizer. The lawn came up well for a little while, however crabgrass started to grow and now this spring most of the lawn has died. My customer wants something to be done, however because they spent so much money last year they are looking for me to cut them a deal. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the grass died, and how I can get then a new lawn that will survive for a good price. Thanks
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Tough situation.... Should have been done in the fall. If you plant grass now you will not be able to put down pre-emergent ( crabgrass preventer) and you will have the same problem all over again with crabgrass taking over.
  3. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

sod...or SOD:)
  4. ByrnesLandscaping1

ByrnesLandscaping1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I wish my customer had informed me of his problems with the grass last year so we could have started the mending in the fall. But what I was thinking for now was just to put down more seed and some starter fertilizer. Then once it starts to come up pay close attention to it and hand pick the crabgrass before it gets a chance to flourish.

What is the appropriate time for the seed to grow before I could lay down some crabgrass fertilizer
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Did you perform a soil test to see what macro/micro nutrients may be lacking from the native soil? A simple soil test can be invaluable when dealing with lawn problems or installations.
  6. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

they make a product with crabgrass preventer in it for new lawns. also after the third or fourth mowing you can spot treat the weeds also.