Lawn Profession Vs Education Battle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PetalsandPines, Apr 26, 2002.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

I know this topic plays into many of your lives out there, but I want to test the waters on how much of your time is spent defending your Livelihood. I have been in the business for 15 years & in my own for 10 now....And I still have to deal with the snotty remarks from people...such as ...what are you going to do when your older? Or What is going to happen when you hurt your back? Blah Blah Blah ...I hate to ask it, but what changes people's perception of your profession? The car you drive? The house you live in? I understand that in this business it is very unpredictable with the weather and sometimes very frustrating to the people close to you...But I have to admit that I love my Job! And wouldn't trade it for a suit and tie job ever! Some of the condescending comments can really get you down... It is rather depressing and is often a struggle for pride .....anyone else have problems dealing with this? Sheesh...And I thought I was doing well for myself!:(
  2. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

You probably are!

This is unavoidable in a class-based society. The bankrupt rock star has it made but the grass guy in the mansion is to be pitied. :rolleyes:

I try not to even think about what people say and think. I'm pretty quick-witted and can cut back just as sharp as I get it, so that's not a bother. What does bother me is the customer who has this perception. In front of them, I will be treated as a professional and an expert in my field. I just can't tolerate it otherwise. It is that exact perception that leads to the "while you're here can't you do this and that for a couple bucks" attitude we despise.

Heck, half of us make more than most of our customers.

Still, attitudes are based on what you do more than what you make. Shake it off, rant and rave when necessary, and then laugh all the way to the bank...
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I completely agree with TGC. Shake it off. I usually laugh to myself and tell myself if they had any idea. They make their $17 an hour and work all year. I take a few months off to relax.

You need to be happy with yourself and enjoy what you do. I bet none of the other people can say they love their jobs. They are usually always stressed out and mad about something their boss did. ;)
  4. theplantdoctor

theplantdoctor LawnSite Member

Well said. I couldn't agree with you more!:)

5. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

It will happen to you no matter how large and successful you get in this industry.

I still get people asking me if I had trouble finding a real job, so that must be why I'm still in this business.

My son was at a college party (Penn State) and told some of his friends that his dad owns a snowplowing and landscaping business. They laughed at him. He's learned to take it in stride, for which I'm quite proud of him. Although, he's not going to come into the business and will probably find a real job upon graduation......

Keep faith in yourself and you'll do fine. We're all in the same boat.
  6. gunputt

gunputt LawnSite Member

I think those remarks come from people who are just pissed that you are your own boss, and they have to kiss their bosses azz 6 days a week.
    Next time someone asks what are you going to do when your older, just say your employees will be doing the work.

Today was my 4 year olds kindergarten round up.
    I was there to see my daughter off. I did not see any suits there.
    Now, who's better off?

7. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

Just let them think what they think...If they knew just how good it is they may end up competion..... and we already have enough of that.
    I have an education and cut lawns to get me through college. A year after graduation I was cutting lawns agian Because my so called "Real Job" wasnt feeding my kids to well. Heck I made more cutting lawn part time a month than I did at my "Real Job"
  8. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

it comes down to running a service business. we provide things people do not want to do. take it with a grain of salt. no matter what joe homeowner knows more than you..
  9. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

I know that when I'm on a job I'm just the hired help. Most people are pretty good, but occasionally I get the real snob that thinks they are better than I am. Then I just have to remind myself why I'm doing this work. It's because I like doing this work, I like being outside, I get paid well for doing this work, I have flexibility in my hours, I have no boss and they don't know jack about turf. In god's eyes we are all created equal. Enjoy for livelyhood. Have fun at work. Good luck.

If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence than we maintianed that yard!
  10. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

You Guys are absolutely right.....My lawn route takes me from houses that are selling for $15,000 up to Half Million dollar homes.....And I got to tell ya....You see it all in this industry. From having the red carpet rolled out by the the hob nob suburbanites that pop their heads out their curtains like prairie dogs ..You become a well rounded person from dealing with bad drivers all day, customers that you just can never seem to please., the rain, the heat, the breakdowns, the employees, receivables, the little old lady who gives you more than you ask for plus gives you drinks and cookies, the lawyers and doctors that don't pay their bill. Most of us may not be College Educated, but I bet most of us can teach a course in common sense. You just can't seem to explain this to people that are not in the service industry and those who have been tought to be a follower rather than a leader....I have been told many times of my callousness.....I find that it is a direct result of the "Business End S*&T I have to deal and the notion of being succesful in a way that is not the "Norm". Their is a competitive dream within a lot of us, however it is difficult for others to comprehend because they see us struggle with many uncertainties (and of course the lack of the all important piece of paper (I mean degree).....Any of the younger guys here have their significant others question your future because of the line of work your in?