Lawn Rates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EagleLandscape, Sep 8, 2003.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Ok, forget the whole 20 - 25 bucks a cut thing for a moment. I'm about to place some bids on commercial accounts. What numbers do ya'll use to base your bids on. The accounts are in the Dallas, Texas area. St. Augustine and Bermuda are the grass types, sometimes I'll run into Fescue, but that's very unlikely.

Mowing per/sq ft...
    trimming linear feet,
    edging...

I havent big on commercial accounts before, and I want to underbid some companies but I don't want to be doing these jobs for pocket change. Help is much appreciated:) Thanks guys.

2. ahah

ahah LawnSite Member
    from 5

Try placing a bid on a single commercial account. If you get it, you were probably too low. Especially if you were trying to underbid other companies.

3. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Lets all get together and charge double what we normaly would so we can make soom real change. Since we are in the same area and if we talked every one we know in to it we could ALL make out like bandits. But to not answer your question I can't help I have only done small 30 min. commercial jobs and residentials.

4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah talk to everyone get them to charge more, then there will be a few rats that will charge normal and get a ton of accounts. Good idea though, If you could get every LCO to actually do it.

5. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Bid it for what you NEED to get to do the job and be profitable. Any less than that and you're better off not doing it. Dont worry about what "the other guy" gets. He doesen't have YOUR equipment, costs, etc.... only YOU know what those costs are.
    No sense in taking a job (esp. on a contract) and losing money on it, just to outbid the next guy!

6. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Thats what I'm talking about I won't try to out bid someone and not make as much as I could. I would rather spend that extra time with the family and drinking beer. So when I do occasionaly have to bid against another LCO I usually do not to get the job unless they call me after a few weeks when they are not getting what they expected. It would be real tough to get all the LCO's to go with it even though I know most of them a few would try to capitalize on it.

7. hubby-wife

hubby-wife LawnSite Member

jwing-good luck on the bid, I bid my jobs for what I can be happy with and what th customer can afford. If you are not happy with the price, you will not do a good job. If the customer is not happy with the bid, you will lose the job. I bid my jobs by how long it will take at $30.00 per hour and hope to get no less than $25.00 if I bid it too low. Anything under $25 is rebid or lost: I have to be happy with the bid or I will not be doing a good job, hence it is re-bid.
    Good luck, hope you get it at your price (but not to low)!!

8. Lawnalternatives

Lawnalternatives LawnSite Member

That all sounds great but that is also called "collusion" and is highly illegal. Just ask General Electric. They have been burnt many times. Sorry to be such a downer because I love the idea.

col·lu·sion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-lzhn)
    n.
    A secret agreement between two or more parties for a fraudulent, illegal, or deceitful purpose.

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Excellent approach, then next year the other guy can do the same to you and in a few more years all you guys can go belly-up!

10. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Did anyone actualy answer his question?.........;) :p