Lawn Re-seeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawn Surman, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Shawn Surman

Shawn Surman LawnSite Member

I have a lawn which the client wants filled, leveled and re-seeded. The existing lawn is in pretty rough shape, uneven with a good amount of weeds. I had plans on killing off the lawn to eliminate the weed problem. Is it necessary to run a power rake over the lawn? The lawn is going to require a few inches of screened topsoil in most places. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. define filled-
    but yeah spray some roundup. if there is a lot of problems with the existing soil you may wanna get a soil test done. and also if you have certain types of weeds they will tell you about problems the lawn may have. so probably before you spray anything get a couple of cores and take them to the coop ext. service by you, have them do an analysis. spray with your roundup. then once you get your cheap insurance back- soil test- make any corrections necessary. maybe all you have to do is till in some compost, or put down some chelated iron or god knows what. level out your holes and then reseed. so it depends on what is wrong with your soil and then take it from there
    that is where it is at. it all depends on the results of your soil test. so really i wouldnt commit to a number or amount of work needed at this point.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

mat your killing me. sure does give the imagination something to do

4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Shawn...

To answer your question, I think if you are going to put down a few inches of top soil, you wouldn't have to power rake. However if the present soil is compacted, you may want to aerate. I also think the soil test idea from lawnboy82 is a must.

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

First I would determine if it will be irrigated, if not, can they water it 3-4 times DAILY! If no to these I would not do until the fall. I have the exact same situation here and the customer is agreeing to wait a few months. The chances of failure on a lawn seeded in spring here is high & I would only do this type of job if it was.

Get soil test done and adjust soil as needed, everything will be ready for fall and a successful lawn.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Kirby's right. if you can seed in the fall, your chances of success go way up. most folks won't pay to have it done right, but power raking and the ensueing cleanup may be the same price as topsoil and a 1/2 days tractor work. and the seed will take better, and all be the same color. Dave g