Lawn redo and leveling

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by theguynextdoor, Apr 22, 2008.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer who wants an estimate for some yard work. I know what to do with everything but the lawn. The front yard is 40ftx30ft and the back is 75ftx50 ft (roughly). About half of the lawn will need releveling and patching. The lawn is a few inches lower in many areas, so I figure I will need to bring in a lot of topsoil . He would like an estimate for seed and for sod. How many square feet is a pallet of sod? Is it possible to only sod part of the lawn, or will it not look good with the original lawn? He thinks the soil may wash away before the seed grows. I think I may get a quote to sub out the seeding to a hyrdo seeding company.

What input or suggestions do you guys have? I have never done a lawn redo of this size, just smaller areas.
  2. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have any pointers? I would really appreciate it.

I would imagine that the old lawn needs to be tilled or ripped out before doing any soding. Is this true.

As of now I have turned down the job due to lack of experience in this field of landscaping, but I would like to know the proper way to go about it for future jobs.
  3. Seeding offers the least likelihood of customer satisfaction - for the reason you described - seed is washed away or eaten by birds.

As for leveling, don't bring in topsoil - almost NEVER! Sod alone will add an inch of soil where it's laid, and tilling will also raise the soil - especially at the beginning.

If it needs leveled, just rent a Bobcat - assuming you don't have one - and re-grade it.

In your specific situation, because the areas are relatively "small" - once it's tilled, you can usually re-grade it with 36" landscape rakes - though it really sucks doing it this way!
  4. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

In my opinion a skid would be to large for that size area. I think you would have better luck using manual labor or a dingo. Your not talking about that large of an area and Im sure the enire area doesnt need to be leveled. Heck depending on the grade you should be done leveling and dropping in a day with some help.
  5. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

A pallet of sod covers around 500 sq. ft. You almost have 5,000 sq. ft. there. Not sure about the sod prices in your area, but here a pallet will run about $170.00. You need 10 pallets to cover this area. Roughly $1,700.00 + Del. Fee for sod. For under $100.00 you could use a good quality seed and starter fertilizer. Depending on the grade and weather, yes, you could have some washout in certain areas. The starter fertilizer usually keeps the birds away.