1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lawn redo

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bluemoon, Jul 9, 2006.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I have a 3500 sq. ft area to be renovated. I am going to roundup complete area, remove dead grass, till, amend, till, amend and grade and hopefully be ready to plant come Sept. 1 or 15th at the latest.
    My question is I read a article years ago when Kansas City Chiefs switched from artificial turf to real grass. The exact soil structure was very specific for optimum turf growth. I haven't been able to get a specific formula for soil amending. I have checked the internet, magazines and every other source I a can think of and nothing specific. All info says to amend after soil test, which I understand, but in past when I used soil test, it mostly listed minerals.
    I guess what I am looking for is sand, compost (what kind), manure any of these things.
    Also has anybody used the water cyrstals that absorb approx ( 200%) of their weight and slowly release water to soil?
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks bluemoon
    ps. soil is mostly (all clay).
  2. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

The crystals are called Polyacrylamides (I am sure the spelling is wrong). Be careful when using them. They have to be sub soil or you will have a slimy yard every time you water. But they are great and work well. When it comes to what soil to put in it will depend on what you want when you are done. Are you looking for a golf green, a football field or a lawn. Do you want to just look at it or bowl on it. I would take several samples from all around you lawn. Draw a map and mark the samples then take all of it to K. U. Or K. State and talk to the Turfgrass Extension guys. They will be able to help more than most.