Lawn Refuse

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by inline lawn care, Aug 30, 2007.

1. inline lawn care

inline lawn care LawnSite Member

What Do You With Customers Lawn Clippings? Do You Bag Them And Take Them To The Landfill?

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Bagging clippings here in Ohio is old school. Everyone either uses gator blades to shread the bejesus out of it, or high lift blades to disperse it more evenly onto the already mown areas. If there are times in the spring when some folks have to bag due to heavy rain, the various counties in SW Ohio each have solid waste dump sites where you can get rid of it. I'd check your blue pages in Ga. for solid waste dump sites. They will compost it and probably someday turn it into ethanol! Who knows?

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I mulch them or side-discharge them. If there is alot of debris, I will go back over it with the mower. This usually gets it small enough to fall into the turf.

4. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto, we don't bag anything, unless for some odd reason it will make our job easier. Mulching or mainly side discharge with gators on will usually work.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I refuse.

6. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

Id say less than 5% of staten island mulch their lawns...I wish it was more but everyone wants it bagged. We empty the mowers into the back of our dump and haul it off to as recycling center about 25 miles away. In the past the clippings were put in garbage bags and left on the curb but they passed a law in February of this year that prohibits landscapers from doing this. The homeowner will be fined and the lawn service will be ticketed as well. I've heard its $1000 for the homeowner and $2500 for landscapers.

7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Same here Marco. We mulch all of our commercial accounts, and try to get away with as many residential as possible. Almost all of our residential get bagged, and clippings hauled away and recycled. We mulch all larger areas and properties, but smaller confined areas are just impossible to mulch and make it look decent or even not make a mess of the place.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Our branches, brush, and debris gets dumped in our pile down in the pasture at the back of our property. Occasionally, there are a few other lco's that I allow to dump back there as well. It gets burned yearly, but it hasn't been burned in a few years. I have a pile that is approx. 50 ft. across by around 6 ft. tall. It is going to be a BIG fire that I will be having here, soon.

10. RexMan

RexMan LawnSite Member

We mow 102 lawns weelky and bag 40 of them. We're lucky enough to have 30 acres of land so we have a compost pile. All the grass clipping, leaves, mulch and dirt are put into about a 100' x 100' square.. The pile gets pushed (turned )once a month to keep the docomposition going good. By spring the pile is TOTALLY flat. I then use the black compost for landscape bed build-ups. It's an excellent turn around.