1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Removal

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by irocz106, May 16, 2007.

1. irocz106

irocz106 LawnSite Member

I have a client who wants to remove his lawn and replace it with clover leaf, which is apparantley the new grass for people whom have no intrest in lawn maintenance. He has a front lawn which is about 15x10 and a back yard which is about 40x50. The lawn was very poorly done before, and now he wants it removed. I heard of a practice of taking out the sod and mulching it? (Does that kill the grass) A yard machine i was told. I dont know what to do with the old lawn, what would be the best and most cost efficient way for my client and i to remove his lawn and start a new one with cloverleaf? I just don't want the grass coming back in and my work looking poor. What would other businesses charge for this service. I don't want to turn him away, he is a good client, and i don't want to lose his business.
    Any help would be great.
  2. irocz106

irocz106 LawnSite Member

Anyone? No Ideas?
  3. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Roundup, rototill, roundup again, and seed. You don't need to add organic matter as clover is a legume and is able to fix nitrogen from the air as it is in the pea family. You could use a sod cutter, but a lot more work for similar results.

4. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

Very good advice, why do more work than is necessary.
  5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

round up, DONOT rototill you will have 1 hell of a labor intensive mess. cut short as possible round up, it dies round up again then sew the clover seed, please tell him if he doesent already know that it will be impossible to maintain just a clover leaf lawn he is going to get all the other weeds that go with it black medic is just 1
  6. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Round up is good...rototill bad...Round up wait for kill..As soon as kill is evident cut with a sod cutter and remove. Do this while the roots still hold the sod together. Set cutter for shallow settiing so you remove little soil..Aerate the bare soild to open it up and then reseed using a quailty slicing seeder...cover as needed to protect the new lawn..been there done that...
  7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not rototill? Are you afraid of bringing more weed seeds to the surface or loosening the soil for better drainage and root penetration? There is a way to just make money and then there is a way to use proper horticultural practices, and that should be what separates the amateurs from the professionals.

Bob, I can understand your ideas as you want us to use equipment to make the job "easier", but why roundup and then use a sod cutter. Why not just remove the sod or kill it? Wouln't aerating open up the soil to weed seeds, as would the use of a rototiller?

8. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Round up will kill the roots and a sod cutter will leaver a smooth surface for the new sod to seal to..A roto tiller will leave a rough surface you will have to deal with and too much air in the surface. Aeration will leave little clods or cores but they will break down quick with water or rolling. You want the sod to seal to the soil as good as possible. Best sod job I ever did..I removed with a sod cutter , aerated, fertilized the bare soil watered it all in then put down the sod..The new roots went after the fert and I had a quick instant lawn.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I part way agree with this, and FULLY agree that it would work. I however, would just spray it off (mow it real short first), and slitseed the clover seed right in. the reason for cutting it real short first has nothing to do with the Roundup ap, but to not make so much mess with the slitseeding. You have not NEARLY the amount of thatch and debris on top after mowing it down first. This will also open it up to light for the clover seed to germinate better. Don't forget the starter fert. and water regularly.